GabrielGabriel stays silent, surprised at what he is hearing his own brother say.
Adam, you can’t make what that they want you to build.
Adam
I don’t have a choice. Besides, what if it is possible? What would be so wrong with it? It could help out the military.
Gabriel
Just like the Regeneration Pods? That’s the whole reason we’re in this mess.
Adam
But Daniel, I successfully figured out a way to extend human life. Sure, the government is limiting the possibility of the technology, but isn’t that a big enough accomplishment for the world to endure this situation we’re in?
Adam
You do agree with me about the Regeneration Pods, don’t you?
Gabriel
I’m not so sure what to believe anymore, Adam.
Adam
What happened to you? You used to believe in my dream before you disappeared. What happened that corrupted your mind?
Gabriel
Corrupted? Is that what you think? Did you ever stop to think maybe the Protesters aren’t so wrong in their beliefs? What if we are intervening with God’s plan for us all?
Adam
Daniel, we grew up in an agnostic family; we almost never even mentioned God in our home. Where is all this coming from?
Gabriel
Maybe I had an epiphany when I was in Iraq. And don’t call me that anymore.
Adam
Call you what?
Gabriel
My old name. Daniel is dead. Call me Gabriel now.
Adam
Like the angel?
Gabriel
Like the name. That’s what it is.
Adam
I don’t care. You’re my brother. I can call you Daniel, D.L., or whatever other nickname I’ve known you for my entire life. As for the Protesters, they’re crazy. And, sure, let’s assume that maybe there is a God who knows when it’s someone’s time to leave this world; maybe he planned for me to create this technology to give people another chance. Maybe it just isn’t their time and he needed me to make sure that they live until it is their time. If this is about the argument that a person’s soul is gone after they died, you’re going to really hate what Lionel is coming up with.
Gabriel
What is Lionel coming up with?
Adam
Don’t worry about that right now. It’s still in alpha development. I want to know what happened to you. I want to know how you know about Lisa. I want to know how you know about all this, and why it happened.
Gabriel
You know most of it already, but I guess we can help each other piece things together.
General Larken is walking up to where Gabriel is being kept in solitary.Iraq, 2011
Gabriel
Good morning, General. How’s life on the outside?
Larken
Shove it, Fields… I’m sorry, ‘Gabriel’. Turns out we’re leaving this place by the end of the year. I guess the new administration is just finding out about you. They’re ordering we release you and send you home.
Gabriel
Thank God for democrats.
Larken
Yeah, well, next year is election season. So we’ll see how long that lasts.
Gabriel
So now what? Where am I supposed to go?
Larken
Sadly, the U.S. government is offering you reparations for your time in solitary and your service to your country and offering you complete freedom to live wherever you like. Congratulations, you’re a rich, free man.
Gabriel
Really?
Larken
So what are you going to do? Not that I care.
Gabriel
Like you said, General. Daniel Fields is dead. It’s time I start to enjoy my new life. And I hope to God I never see you in that life.
Joe Tyler is popping champagne with the LifeSource founders.LifeSource, 2011
JoeEveryone takes a sip of champagne, except Carlie who is watching the news.
Congratulations, everyone! We did it! You successfully created something that not only will save lives and bring a better tomorrow, but you also became very rich overnight. And isn’t that the greatest feeling of all?
George
Hey, no complaints here!
Adam
I think what Professor Caldwell here is trying to say is we should all be extremely proud of our accomplishments and know that a longer future is now possible. We made history today, and I hope this will only bring us closer to distribution across the entire country and hopefully the world. To the future!
Everyone
To the future!
CarlieShe turns up the volume so everyone can hear.
Everyone you should check this out!
Lionel
God, I hate Fox News.
Carlie
Shh, quiet!
News Reporter
Outside this hospital in San Francisco, close to the LifeSource headquarters, is a small group of people protesting the new technology being referred to as Regeneration Pods. The Pod in this hospital is one of very few to be provided to the public, with another in New York and one in Washington. These machines, originally developed for the military, are now beginning to be used as medical equipment for civilians. The initial reaction to this technology was met with praise but it has now become controversial. The group of protesters argue that these machines go against what God intended. It’s not just Catholics here, either. San Franciscans of all beliefs seem to be gathered here. Some are even questioning what side effects may come from this technology, the medical risks that may come with it, and government spending into the technology. As you know, we are in a financial crisis and this might take a toll on the tax payers.
Lionel
See? Told you.
Carlie
Yes, we get it, Sabatelli. Just watch.
Adam
I better call Carrie and see if everything’s alright.
Joe
Don’t worry, everyone. This thing will pass. Let’s just enjoy the fruits of our labour right now.
Bennett is driving Saunders home.Still 2011, San Francisco
BennettSaunders leaves the car and enters his house.
Can you believe it? We’re FBI agents now! Who would have thought we’d get here?
Saunders
I know. I can’t wait to tell my wife. She’s going to be so happy.
Bennett
You still having troubles? Not that it’s my place to ask.
Saunders
No it’s okay, we were starting to have a little bit of financial troubles because of my gambling but I’ve stopped, and now with this new job I think we’ll be just fine.
Bennett
Well, hey, I wanted to tell you I just met someone the other day. Why don’t you say to celebrate we both double date this weekend?
Saunders
Sounds great. I’ll call you. Thanks for the ride.
SaundersSaunders is shocked to see his wife standing in the hallway with packed bags.
Maya, I got some great news…
SaundersWith that, Maya grabs her bags and walks out the door. Saunders just stands by the door frozen in shock, not entirely sinking in what just happened. The only thing he knows is that he will never gamble again.
What’s going on?
Maya
I’m sorry, Jason. I’m leaving.
Saunders
But… but… I’ve stopped gambling. We were starting to work through this. I don’t understand.
Maya
I just can’t. I checked your browser history. You’ve been doing some online gambling.
Saunders
It wasn’t real money. It’s just a game with some people online.
Maya
That’s not the point. I realize that you’ll never want to give it up. You’re just not strong enough. And I can’t be here when you lose it all again.
Saunders
But I am. I don’t need to play at all. I’ll stop. Maya, I just got hired at the FBI. Our money problems are gone and I’m not gambling anymore. We’re back to how things used to be.
Maya
No, we’re not, Jason, because I used to love you before. I don’t love you anymore.
Gabriel is walking into a dojo.New Jersey, 2011
Gabriel
Hello. I heard you teach various martial arts here. I was wondering if I could sign up.
Sensei
Well you came to the right place. I don’t get very many adults here. May I ask why you’re interested in taking martial arts classes at your age? I’m wondering so I can try and get others like you interested.
Gabriel
I’m not sure you’ll be able to find many others who are like me.
Sensei
You’re a military man, aren’t you?
Gabriel
How can you tell?
Sensei
The way you stand and the way you present yourself. So you have the military training, what use are martial arts to you?
Gabriel
I’m interested in learning as much defensive fighting as possible.
Sensei
And who are you planning on fighting?
Gabriel
Nobody yet, but it can’t hurt to be prepared.
Sensei
So what days are you prepared to train?
Gabriel
Well, I’m already signed up with 10 other places for various other fighting techniques. In fact, later today I’m taking a parkour class. Wednesday and Thursday nights are the only times I’m available. Every other day I’m booked with other lessons. Except Sunday morning; that’s when I have mass.
Sensei
That’s going to be very difficult for me.
Gabriel
I can pay you double your rate if you like, so long as I learn the most advanced training I can.
Sensei
I’m very intrigued by you. I’ll see if I can switch around my schedule. What’s your name?
Gabriel
Gabriel. Gabriel Walsh.
To be continued...
No comments:
Post a Comment
Leave a comment here!