Before You Read!

If this is your first time here, you might want to check out the Introduction before you begin or start off from the beginning with Chapter 1: Reborn (Part 1).

Chapter 6: Revenge (Part 1)

Part 1Part 2Part 3

Agent Saunders, agent Bennett, and four other agents in the squad have found themselves in a rundown area in Oakland. They reach a giant abandoned warehouse.
Saunders
Okay, this is the place. Get ready boys, you may have to use gunfire. We have no clue who these people are or how dangerous they can be.
They burst open the door.
Saunders
FBI! Free–
Agent Saunders is cut short by his own surprise. Waiting for them in the middle of the warehouse is a Regeneration Pod with a man sitting on a chair in front of it. Huge cables and power generators are surrounding the Pod so that enough energy can be produced to power the machine.
Nico
Congratulations! You found it!

Saunders
This is the Federal Bureau of Investigation. You are under arrest for stolen property of the US government.

Nico
Ah you see that’s where you’re wrong. I did not steal this machine. I simply bought it. Sorry about the mess, by the way. I was only expecting two of you to show up. I’m sorry to say that, despite this being a large warehouse and all, I do not have room for all these other guests you have brought...

Saunders
Sir, I need you to stand up and put your hands on your head!

Nico
I would simply ask the others to leave, Mr. Saunders, because the rest of your team will not fully understand the situation I will soon explain to you... However, by stumbling upon this secret hideout, they already know too much...

Saunders
Put your hands on your head, now!

Nico
So, I’m just going to have to kill them.
Gun fire comes from all sides of the warehouse and bullets flow past Saunders and Bennett, crashing into each of their men. Blood shoots out of the agents and their bodies shake through the barrage of bullets until they fall and lay dead on the floor. Only Saunders and Bennett remain alive, surrounded by the brutalized bodies of their team.
Nico
No, Mr. Saunders. I’m going to have to ask you to put your guns down and keep your hands where I can see them.
The people who shot the guns start to reveal themselves from the shadows of the upper balcony of the warehouse. Saunders and Bennett comply with the man sitting in the chair and put their guns down on the floor.
Nico
Ah, good. Now that’s more like it. Oh, where are my manners? I’m Nico.

Saunders
What do you want from us?

Nico
Well that’s a fair enough question. I have a proposition for you, Mr. Saunders and I think you would be very pleased with it. Step into my office so we can talk.

Flashback to October 19, 1990 – St. Joseph Elementary School
It is recess for the kids of St. Joseph Grade school in San Francisco, California in the year 1990. Cole Bennett, who is 10, was just transferred to the school after his parents moved from Chicago. Unfortunately, not all the students from this town are very friendly to the only black child in the school; especially not the older grade students.
Logan
Hey kid. That’s a nice action figure you have there. You know, I used to have one just like that a few years ago but my parents gave it away to charity. I think that’s my G.I. Joe you have there and I want it back.

Cole
No, my parents bought me this for my birthday from a toy store. I saw them buy it.

Logan
I think you’re lying, you little brat! Give it to me now!

Cole
No, it’s mine!
Cole is beginning to cry. The gang of older bullies start to beat him up and grab his action figure.
Logan
Next time, you should listen to us. That way we wouldn’t have to beat you so hard.
The bullies walk away. Cole picks himself up and sees a kid on a bench looking at him. Cole wipes his eyes and his nose before he walks to the door of the school and waits for the bell to ring.


Present Day – Nico’s Warehouse, Oakland
Agent Saunders and Bennett are standing in a smaller room within the warehouse with Nico and a few of his men. The Agents finally get a good look at the man who had so quickly taken control of the situation. He is a little overweight, with salt-and-pepper hair and very defined crows feet which seemed to add a few years to him. The creases on his face make it apparent that he isn’t an overly serious man, and even in this heated moment, he has a large and seemingly natural grin on his face.
Saunders
What exactly do you want from us?

Nico
I’ll get straight to the point. I know you are in your own possession of a Pod, and let’s just say you are in possession of it illegally; although I don’t think you’re too worried about your superiors finding out, are you?

Saunders
Where exactly did you get that information?

Nico
I don’t think we’re very different in this respect and I believe we can reach a mutual understanding for each other. Our Pod is having a little difficulty working. My good for nothing ‘expert’ couldn’t figure out the problem. Let’s just say he’s not a problem anymore. But one of my men is slowly dying in the next room over from a little incident we’ve been in recently.

Saunders
What kind of incident would that be?

Nico
A gun fight, from some scum bastards that think they run this city. In reality, we are the ones who run everything and we intend to stand true to that statement so that everyone knows it.

Saunders
How exactly do you think you run this city?

Nico
We keep everything in order. We may do illegal things but the fear we instill keeps everyone in their place. Most of all, we have power. Do you know what it’s like to have power over everyone? How you can do what you want and nobody can stop you?

Saunders
Yes.

Nico
I’m sure you do. That’s why I set off the GPS signal to bring you here. I knew you were in charge of finding the Pods missing from LifeSource and I knew you would come here. I knew you would understand and help me.

Saunders
And why would we help you exactly? You just killed my men, stole government property, and confessed to other crimes.

Nico
Like I said, this is not one of the Pods that were recently missing. There are others, aren’t there? And there’s other things going on you have no other information on. You’re stuck and you need help. Like who stole those Pods, who is betraying you at LifeSource, and where Lisa Fields is located.

Bennett
You know about Lisa Fields?

Nico
I know a lot of things that I can help you with.

Saunders
What do you want?

Nico
I want this damned machine fixed.

Saunders
We can get you the information but you need to find your own repairman. We can’t risk you killing someone at LifeSource who wants nothing to do with this.

Nico
That sounds reasonable. That’s not all. I want these bastards who did this to my men to pay.

Saunders
You expect us to kill these men?

Nico
I just want them gone. Kill them, arrest them, erase their memories, do whatever you have to do to get rid of them.

Saunders
Fine.

Bennett
Really?
Bennett is used to Saunders always arguing for what he wants and has almost never seen him simply give into someone else so quickly.
Nico
Excellent. One more thing; we want immunity.

Saunders
What the hell does that mean?

Nico
We want to make sure we can use this Pod without consequence. We want protection so that we know nobody is looking for this Pod or is going to come after us. We don’t want another pile of FBI agents here.
Saunders stares into Nico’s eyes for a moment.
Saunders
Done.

Flashback to November 30, 1990 – St. Joseph Elementary School
Logan
No, we’re done when I say we’re done.
The bullies are once again beating up a young Cole Bennett.
Saunders
No, I said you’re done now! He can’t take anymore!
Logan stops and stares at the young Jason Saunders.
Logan
What did you say? Are you getting soft on me, Saunders? He needs to know his place here. We’re simply just showing him that he doesn’t have the right to eat at our table.

Saunders
We never sit here!

Logan
We do now.

Saunders
You know what? I’m done with you! You can’t treat people like this!

Logan
You think he’s like us? He’s nothing like us.

Saunders
You’re right. He’s better than us because he’s not a piece of shit that goes around beating kids for stupid things just so he can feel like he owns the damn school!
Logan takes a swing at Jason, who tries to duck out of the way, but instead gets knocked to the ground when the bully’s fist lands against his chest. Logan continues beating him up until a teacher notices and runs to Jason and pulls Logan off of him.
Teacher
What is wrong with you? You’re in a lot of trouble mister. Are you okay, Jason?
Jason catches his breath and staggers to his feet.
Saunders
Yeah, I’m okay.

Teacher
Alright then. Go see the school nurse to check on those wounds.

Logan
What about the wounds on my fist?

Teacher
Quiet, Logan. If I were you I’d keep my mouth shut to stay out of more trouble. I’ll check on you soon, Jason.
The teacher looks over to a very swollen Cole Bennett. She nods at him.
Teacher
Clean yourselves off, boys.
The rest of the bullies spread out and walk away.
Bennett
You didn’t have to do that.

Saunders
Something tells me I’ll get the rest of that later. At least he’ll lay off you for a bit.

Bennett
Well, thank you.

Saunders
I won’t always be around. You’re going to need to learn how to defend yourself.

Bennett
By the looks of it, so do you.
Jason laughs.
Saunders
Ouch. I think that hurt worse than the beating.
The boys laugh.
Saunders
The name’s Jason. Jason Saunders.

Bennett
Cole Bennett.

Saunders
Hey, Cole. You want to maybe finish eating lunch after we get rid of the blood?

Present Day – Oakland
Saunders
Hey, Bennett! Are you listening?

Bennett
What?

Saunders
You want to grab something to eat before we go into a possible gun fight with a gang of lowlifes?

Bennett
Sure, why not.

Saunders
What’s wrong with you? Still thinking about our men? I know how you feel; I can’t stop thinking about it either.

Bennett
Yeah, I can’t believe they all died in front of us there. Actually, I’m mostly thinking about why we’re doing this exactly.

Saunders
Listen, I’m not too thrilled about this either. I would like nothing more than to give that guy what he deserves. But we’re stuck. This guy is our only lead and he will give us the information we want.

Bennett
Why not just go in with the whole team, arrest them all, and have them tell us anyways?

Saunders
You were there. You know why we can’t do that. And you also know what we have to do after.

Bennett
I know. I was just hoping you would have a different plan.

Saunders
Let’s worry about finding these guys first. Oh, look, a bistro!
Saunders parks next to a restaurant; it seems to be an average Italian bistro. The building is old, maybe 30 years or so, with large arc windows and a red and white striped canopy over the door. However, despite the home-like feeling the building gives, the agents know they are not here for pleasantries.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment here!