| Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 |
Gabriel comes out of the kitchen of Carrie’s apartment holding two cups of coffee and hands Carrie one of them.
CarrieThank you. Now, I’ve told you enough already. I think it’s your turn now.
He puts the cup down and falls back into his seat.GabrielWhere do I start?
Gabriel sighs.CarrieThe beginning is always a good choice.
GabrielFine, but you should know that I may stop at times for more information you have and to tell you the FBI could be coming at any minute. Are you sure you want to know everything?
CarrieYes.
Gabriel…I was afraid you’d say that.
Adam runs up to his brother in the airport terminal the day he is leaving for his tour. He is fighting back tears as he hugs his brother and takes hold of his emotions before he pulls away so Daniel can see his face.2004 – Fields House
AdamI can’t believe you’re joining the army.
DanielHey, it helps pay for school, right?
Daniel wraps his arm around Adam.AdamBut dad left us a big inheritance…
DanielWell all those dates aren’t cheap.
Mrs. FieldsDaniel Lucas Fields, are you saying you’re blowing away all the money your father left you for fun?
Daniel laughs for a moment, but a serious look creeps across his face.DanielIt was a joke, mom!
DanielThe truth is I feel like I should be doing something great and I think this will be a great experience for me.
Mrs. FieldsWell, we’re proud of you either way.
Present day
GabrielBy that time, as you know, Adam is starting University and I was being shipped to Iraq. Why we were sent there still baffles me to this day.
CarrieI know all this, Daniel. We kept in touch, remember?
Carrie pushes Adam out of the way to get in a moment on the web cam.2005 – Fields House
CarrieWe miss you a lot, Daniel!
Adam pushes Carrie out of his chair.DanielI miss you all too; except maybe that guy…who is he? Do I know him?
Lionel is about the same height as Adam but with a more toned shape. Their facial features couldn’t be more different. In contrast to Adam’s dark hair and light blue eyes Lionel had dark brown eyes and sandy blond hair.AdamNo, you don’t. His name is Lionel. We met a little while ago. Lionel, this is my brother Daniel.
LionelPleasure to meet you, friend.
AdamWe actually met after that competition I told you about.
DanielOh, right! I wanted to ask you how that went.
AdamI didn’t win.
DanielOh, sorry, bud. The next one for sure. Did Lionel here beat you or something?
LionelActually my field is more technology based.
DanielYeah, I found a flyer the next day about a tech completion so I checked it out and Lionel won for his video game.
DanielWait, so he made a video game and won a university-wide competition?
LionelI didn’t make a video game. I took an existing video game and used a sort of brain-mapping helmet and pulse detecting gloves to prove that it’s possible for someone to control a video game just by thinking about it.
DanielThat doesn’t even sound possible
LionelIt didn’t exactly go as planned, but the idea won me the prize.
DanielCongratulations. Um…Sorry, if you all don’t mind, I don’t have a lot of time and want to speak with Adam alone.
Carrie and Lionel walk away.Carrie, LionelSure thing.
DanielAdam, did you do what I asked?
AdamYeah, I put flowers on mom’s grave for you.
DanielI wish I could be there. I still can’t believe she’s gone.
AdamI wish you were here, too. I want you to come home.
Daniel stands up out of his chair and bumps into the general who is standing behind him.DanielIt’s not that easy, Adam. I have to go now. Take care.
Daniel stumbles over his words as he tries to ignore the embarrassment of walking into his superior.DanielOh, sorry, General Larken. I… I didn’t know you were standing there.
GeneralI know these conferences are supposed to be private… but I was a little curious.
DanielAbout what, sir?
GeneralYour brother and his new friend, I’ve been told, are starting to work on a small project that is intriguing the US government. It’s a theory at the moment, but could end up possibly beneficial to the war. And at these times, we want to look at every option available.
DanielI’m not sure I understand, sir.
GeneralWe just want you to keep track of his progress. Make sure during your future video conferences that you lean the conversation to his work and find out as much information as possible and report back to me. I’ll promise that future conversations will be private from now on but we need to make sure you’re pushing him to continue his work.
DanielI’m not sure I’m comfortable exploiting my brother’s personal life for military use, sir.
GeneralWell that doesn’t matter because this is an order, and you will do this for us.
DanielWhy not fund his research to guarantee he works on it?
GeneralBecause, this war is costing us a lot of money and we want to make sure we’re using that money on the proper investments for this war. Don’t let me down, son.
Daniel raises his hand to salute the General before he drops his head and walks out of the tent.DanielYes, sir!
Present time
Carrie
So… they asked you to spy on Adam?
Gabriel
They ordered me to spy on Adam. But that still isn’t the worst part.
Carrie
Why? What happened?
Gabriel
First, you have to tell me what you know. Why are LifeSource employees disappearing?
Carrie
Fair enough; well, as you know, the first appearance of the Pods spawned a group of religious people who believed that the machines were going against the work of God – or whatever the belief was based on the religion of the individual. Many of these people believe that once dead, the soul is gone and that bringing someone back to life makes them a different person, a pseudo-man. These people were then given a name; ‘The Protesters’. I know, it’s a stupid name, but what do you expect from a group that listens to baseless theories instead of scientific fact?
Gabriel
Can we skip over this part?
Carrie
Sorry. Anyways, the group was strong before the laws were placed. They formed a large, nation-wide following and prompted the government to look at life, death, and the beliefs of the nation. The following died down after the resolution but core followers stayed strong, keeping the movement alive as an underground community, or so the rumour goes. Recently, there seems to be indications that the Protesters are growing in numbers again and are becoming more active in their message. There have been threats on the company and the employees. What is once a peaceful group that stood for something has turned to a violent group that won’t listen to reason; a group that doesn’t care about who their actions may hurt. So many employees say they are leaving for safety reasons. Adam told me that’s why he is leaving.
Gabriel
They were threatening Adam, too?
CarrieThere is a worrisome pause before she continues.
Especially him...
Carrie
Who else but the co-founder of the technology to be the prime target? After he felt like his family might be in danger, he said he was leaving. He left all responsibility to Lionel and his father-in-law.
Gabriel
How is the company split?
Carrie
I’m sorry?
Gabriel
Do Lionel and Joe have an even split of the shares, or is Lionel in charge?
Carrie
How is that important?
GabrielGabriel takes another sip of coffee, accidentally drinking too much and burning his tongue.
Everything is important.
Carrie
Well, you know Joe Tyler. He makes sure he’s in it for the money. He has a huge stake in the company.
Gabriel
That’s what I thought.
Carrie
But you also know Adam. He stayed strong and he and Lionel ended up owning the company and after Adam left, Lionel now has complete control of the company.
Gabriel
Good.
Carrie
Why? Do you not trust Joe?
Gabriel
I don’t trust anyone.
CarrieCarrie places her hand on Gabriel’s to comfort him.
I still don’t understand why.
Gabriel
I told you I’ll tell you more after you give me something.
Carrie
I just answered your question.
Gabriel
I asked why employees were leaving and you said that you were led to believe they were leaving over safety concerns. You never told me what is really happening or explained the missing employees.
Carrie
Fine, I’ll continue with that after you tell me more.
Gabriel
Alright, but the story doesn’t get any more pleasant after this.
To be continued...
No comments:
Post a Comment
Leave a comment here!