Before You Read!

If this is your first time here, you might want to check out the Introduction before you begin or start off from the beginning with Chapter 1: Reborn (Part 1).

Chapter 5: Revelations (Part 1)

Part 1Part 2Part 3

Gabriel is sneaking around outside LifeSource and notices they’re adding more security to the building.
Gabriel
Damn. Why do they always have to make things difficult?
Gabriel takes out a device from his pocket, a military designed security scrambler that disables all cameras within a close radius, and activates it as he sneaks into the building. The moonlight shines up the near-empty halls of LifeSource as Gabriel makes his way towards the top floor where Lionel Sabatelli’s office is. As always, Lionel’s receptionists is sitting in front of his office trying to rearrange his schedule.
Stacy
Hello, do you have an appointment with mister Sabatelli?
Gabriel takes out a tranquilizer gun and shoots the receptionist in the shoulder. He hides her under the desk and heads for Lionel’s door when he hears talking on the other side.
Joe
I took the liberty of hiring some security for you. We’re also installing cameras right now.

Lionel
Thank you, Joe. These thefts are unacceptable and we need all the security we can get, with all that’s been happening lately.

Joe’s radio
Sir, we have a problem with the cameras.
Joe
I’ll be right down. Sorry, Lionel I should probably check that out.

Lionel
I’ll walk out with you.
Gabriel tucks himself away behind a wall outside the office.
Lionel
Where’s Stacy?

Joe
Probably in the bathroom.

Lionel
There are messages on the phone. What am I paying her for?

Joe
I’m sure she’ll be right back.
Gabriel waits until Joe Tyler and Lionel have walked past him and then sneaks into the office. He walks to his computer and pulls out a USB drive; copying as much information as he can onto the drive. However, most if it is under tight security locks that Gabriel would need more time to get past but right now he’s just grabbing what he can. He hears Lionel outside coming back.
Lionel
Stacy? Stacy!
He hides against the wall near the door until Lionel walks in and goes to his desk.
Lionel
I can’t believe she’s not back yet.

Gabriel
That’s because she’s passed out.

Lionel
Whoa! How did you get passed security?

Gabriel
Like you said, you need to improve on that.
Lionel reaches for the phone.
Gabriel
Wait! I didn’t come here for trouble; I came here to ask you a few questions.

Lionel
Oh, that’s great, friend. Just wait a second and let me call security first and then I’ll be right with you.

Gabriel
You don’t want to do that.

Lionel
And why is that?

Gabriel
Because I’m Adam’s brother.
Lionel stops for a minute and tries to process what he just heard. He hangs up the phone and gives the man a chance to talk.


Tom
So here’s your desk. Answering the phone is pretty self explanatory. I actually have a laptop provided for work purposes. If you have any questions just let me know.

Lisa
I just have one; why is it that your offices are open so late?
Tom laughs.
Tom
It isn’t usual for us to work this late. We’re just backed up on a little bit of paperwork here. I have had meetings all day and they’re continuing later tonight. I just thought I could show you where you would be working while I have all this going on and maybe answer the phones if anyone calls.
Lisa actually worked as a receptionist as a favour for her Father for a while when the woman before her went on maternity leave. It’s been a long time since she has been behind a desk answering calls for someone else. The phone starts ringing.
Tom
Ah, your first call. Let’s see how you do.
Lisa picks up the phone
Lisa
Hello, office of Tom Wilson, Attorney at Law. How may I help you today?

Client
Um, yes. I was wondering if, well, Mr. Wilson was able to take my case. I forwarded a digital copy of the case files. He would be representing a victim in court.
Lisa checked her laptop, having received the files. She gave them a quick once over, getting the general idea; typical assault case between two young adults. It seems it had been dragged on awhile, too, despite being fairly cut and dry.
Lisa
Alright, I’ll forward it to him or one of the paralegals and they’ll get back to you soon. Sorry to say they’re fairly tied up right now.

Client
Thank you. You won’t believe what we have had to deal with. It’s constantly getting put off and delayed.

Tom
Wow, pretty good for your first call.

Lisa
Thank you.

Tom
Well, I’ll be in my office if you need anything.

Lionel and Gabriel are starring at each other in silence. Finally Lionel speaks.
Lionel
You’re Adam’s brother? Wait... Daniel, right? He used to talk about you a lot when we first met and I think we met on webcam once. I thought you were supposed to be dead.

Gabriel
Well that’s the official story.

Lionel
Well, no doubt you heard about what happened to your brother.

Gabriel
Yes, that’s why I’m here. I have a few questions. You talked to Adam; what did he tell you?

Lionel
That he was in some car crash with his wife and he told her to run because she had the nurse activate a Pod before it was authorized.

Gabriel
Is that all?

Lionel
Well, in regards to the situation. We talked a lot but more about last words and reminiscing.

Gabriel
And did you believe him?

Lionel
Of course, why wouldn’t I? Do you think he was lying?

Gabriel
I know he was lying.

Lionel
What?! How?

Gabriel
I’ve been helping Lisa escape.

Lionel
You bastard! You mean you could have come clean and saved Adam?

Gabriel
It’s not that easy.

Lionel
Sure it is. ‘Hello, I’m Adam’s supposedly dead brother and I know for a fact he didn’t die in that car crash.’ See? How hard was that?

Gabriel
Lionel, not too many people know I’m alive. Lisa did die in that crash and if she was caught they would kill her so I had to do everything I could to protect her. Not to mention I would be arrested if I admitted helping her.

Lionel
You still could have helped save him.

Gabriel
Listen, it’s not that simple. I tried saving him but I got caught by FBI agents. I was able to get away but then I heard they decided to shut down Adam in a Pod. I think there’s more to this story and it goes deeper than we think.

Lionel
What kind of conspiracy crap is this? You are one messed up individual.

Gabriel
You know better than anyone your employees are slowly disappearing or leaving and your Pods are occasionally being stolen. Two of your employees, including Adam, have been killed. You don’t think there’s a relation here?

Lionel
How do you know all this?
Lionel sighs.
Lionel
Well, you’re right. LifeSource has been going through a lot lately. Some things I can’t explain. So what do you think is going on?

Gabriel
You had a big hand on building the original Pods; I’m assuming you know about the... how do I put it... after-effects?

Lionel
After-effects... wait; you mean... how do you know about that?

Gabriel
I was in the war when it was discovered. Back when people weren’t brought to life for only 24 hours.

Lionel
So what does this have to do with anything?

Gabriel
I hope you’re prepared for what I have to say next. I never actually died. They captured me.

Lionel
Who captured you?

Gabriel
My superiors, the U.S. government, back in 2009. They told me that Adam was working on something but not as fast as they had hoped and so he needed motivation to continue his progress.

Lionel
So they captured you and told him you had died? Wait, that’s when Adam came to me and said we have to focus on perfecting our idea!

Gabriel
Exactly.

Lionel
That’s when he met Lisa. Does Lisa have anything to do with that?

Gabriel
Not Lisa, directly anyways. I was kept in solitude for many years but I still knew about what was going on. I knew about a shipment of ‘special machines’ we received to heal the wounded at a faster pace. One soldier was close to dead so they tried using the machine. Shortly after he had passed, I don’t know why, but they thought to try again and he was brought back. Slowly but surely he was back to fighting shape .

Lionel
Yes, I know about that. We were told about it and that’s what got us to research how to successfully bring people back to life. So, why are you telling me all this? How do you know you can trust me? I can easily share all this information with the FBI that’s investigating all this.

Gabriel
They already know most of what I told you, except maybe who I really am.

Lionel
I have to say, this is a messed up story.

Gabriel
It gets worse. I saw that you’re tightening security for this place.

Lionel
Yes. Clearly it’s not good enough.

Gabriel
I’m assuming it was either Joe Tyler or a couple of FBI agents that told you to do so.

Lionel
Of course.

Gabriel
And are they assuming it’s an inside job for why these Pods are being stolen?

Lionel
Yes. Wait, are you saying that they could have stolen them?

Gabriel
Well, I don’t know about Joe but I’m almost certain the agents that are after me have one.

Lionel
Why is that?

Gabriel
The ‘after-affect’. One of them is too strong, too fast. I think they’re using one and the one agent is using the other like a puppet.

Lionel
Well we should tell someone.

Gabriel
We can’t. I told you, I think this goes deep and we don’t know who else knows. I just need you to be suspicious. Be another set of eyes and ears. We need to figure out what’s going on.

Lionel
Well if what you’re telling me is true I will do that. One thing I don’t understand; I’m under the impression you believe the crash was intentional. Why would they want Adam dead?

Gabriel
I haven’t figured that out yet, but I don’t think they wanted him dead.

Lionel
Then why did they go along with his story to end up killing him?

Gabriel
How do we know he’s actually dead?

Lionel
Oh, alright, I’m sick of all these twists and turns! I feel like you’re making all this up.

Gabriel
It explains almost everything. My presence here when I’m supposed to be dead should be a good indication I’m telling the truth.

Lionel
Alright then, one more thing; you said Lisa wasn’t directly involved in all this. What did you mean?
Joe Tyler opens the door.
Joe
Well I don’t know what happened but we got the cameras up and... it’s you!
Gabriel and Joe are starring directly at each other. Lionel is looking back and forth between the two of them.
Lionel
Oh...

To Be Continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment here!