Saunders walks up to the stand to give his speech. He has an element of calm around him because he knows he can easily get through this without slipping up and giving away what really happened.
Agent Saunders starts his speech, and so far the grieving audience had been taking it in a good manner, so he continues for a few minutes until he finally gives his closing lines.SaundersIt... it is a shame what had happened to agents Griffin and Holland. They were indeed good men and it is a shame to see them fall in the line of duty, even if it was a job they willingly dedicated their lives to. They died trying to pursue a suspect in a case which we are currently investigating.
Saunders takes his seat soon after.SaundersThey were both great men who lived great lives. It is a shame to see them taken in the line of duty.
Saunders is walking down a long hallway with many secure doors; almost like a prison, but not as depressing. He stops at one door and opens it. Bobby is sitting in the room watching a TV.
Saunders slams the door shut, locks it and goes to the next room over.BobbyMy God, Jason, will you just let me out already? Look, I realize I was involved with some things that made me betray your trust, but I’ve told you everything I know already and have been honest this whole time. I have not once denied helping you guys out because we’re supposed to be friends here so can I just go now?
SaundersWhere’s Mr. Tyler?
Bobby...Is that a trick question or something?
SaundersWrong answer.
BobbyI don’t know, attending some meeting? How the hell am I supposed to know?
SaundersSo you have no idea why Joe Tyler all of a sudden just started to drive out of the city, avoid two agents who were following him, and then just disappeared for several days?
BobbyYou’ve been keeping me locked up down here for days with no communication to anybody. How am I supposed to know? Try calling him.
SaundersDo you think we’re stupid, Roberto? He doesn’t have his cell on him. You’re one of his closest friends, if anybody would know something it would be you.
BobbyI could say the same thing about you.
SaundersWhat about Harmony Spa? Do you know anything about that?
BobbyYeah, it’s a spa; any other questions?
SaundersWhy would Mr. Tyler go to this location?
BobbyBecause he’s rich and likes to get pampered and can do whatever the hell he wants and nobody will question him...
SaundersAlright, well when you think you can give me something of value then maybe we’ll consider letting you out.
BobbyCome on, Jason! You can’t just leave me here like...
Saunders slams the door and locks it. He walks over a couple of doors down and opens it.SaundersYou ready to talk, Nico?
NicoScrew you!
SaundersAlright, then, enjoy our luxury suite; you have a nice day with no TV, food, or blankets.
SaundersHow about you? Are you ready to cooperate?
Joe Tyler is meeting with General Larken.
Both men look confused.LarkenMr. Tyler! To what do I owe this secret meeting you called me here for today?
JoeI can imagine you have some idea about the types of questions I have for you.
LarkenHonestly, no. What’s going on?
JoeYou don’t?
LarkenNo.
Joe stops for a minute.JoeSo you’re telling me you don’t keep track of the special FBI task team you created in San Francisco or even watch the news?
LarkenSo I’m assuming this is about LifeSource or something related to that nature, then?
JoeHow can you be so blind to what’s going on?
LarkenBelieve it or not, Mr. Tyler, there are things of more importance I’m dealing with than what Mr. Saunders’ team is doing right now. Now from what I gather, recently there was a theft at the LifeSource building; Also, that whole incident with Mr. Fields. That’s all I know.
JoeThis has more to do with the agents. I want to know what their current assignment is.
LarkenI believe they’re handling multiple assignments right now. I’m sure they would tell you if you asked them.
JoeThey told me about the theft, but they keep questioning me about my daughter even though I tell them time and time again I don’t know where she is.
LarkenIf I remember correctly your daughter somehow escaped from LifeSource because she activated a Regeneration Pod without authorization, right?
JoeThe official story was never confirmed on that, but yes, she ran away and is in hiding now.
LarkenWell that seems like something that would be an obvious case for them to take.
JoeYes, but when I ask them they claim they have other assignments they’re on and that finding my daughter is of low priority and are not bothering because she would be long gone by now. Yet they keep coming back. They seem too persistent and I think they’re up to something.
LarkenI will look into it. Actually, if I’m not mistaken the NSA was assigned to take over their cases involving the thefts of the Regeneration Pods.
JoeWhat?
LarkenYes, it was decided that it was becoming a security threat.
JoeWell that sort of helps clear up some information. I’m almost certain they’re up to something, then.
LarkenAs unorthodox and, let’s face it, against the rules Agent Saunders and Agent Bennett may seem, they are one of the best teams I know and get the job done. It’s for all those reasons, good and bad, we’ve entrusted them to this team. While I appreciate your concern, Mr. Tyler, you need to understand that there are more important things going on with the U.S. government than to care much about your issues. We are on the brink of international conflict over this technology, as I’m sure you are well aware. May I remind you that the reason we keep you in this loop is because you provide a majority of the funding for LifeSource and advancements in our military and you benefit off that. As far as I’m concerned, you should just worry about doing your job and we’ll do the same.
JoeFine. I can see my trip was a waste. I must go now; I have another engagement to attend to.
LarkenTake care, Mr. Tyler.
The General looks shocked.JoeThere’s another name the FBI has mentioned to me: Daniel Fields.
LarkenSo Mr. Fields finally found his way back home, huh? Well that could turn out to be a problem. Thank you for that information, Mr. Tyler. I’ll be sure to look into your request.
JoeThank you.
Agent Bennett is at the hospital in Oakland, leaning against a wall while staring directly at the door where the patient is still being questioned by the local FBI. Saunders breaks his concentration as he holds out a coffee.
Saunders nods in the direction of the local FBI walking out of the room towards the agents. He then pulls out his phone and starts walking away to make his call.SaundersAny luck?
BennettThey’re still not budging. On the plus side, I don’t think he’s talking. Maybe if we’re lucky they’ll just shut him down.
SaundersIt doesn’t work that way. We can’t take the chance even if it did.
BennettDid you try calling for confirmation?
SaundersI guess he was in a meeting or something. I’ll try again. Here come our friends.
Bennett keeps a stone cold face and keeps his mouth shut. Meanwhile Agent Saunders is speaking on the phone to his superior about the patient transfer.MillerAgent Bennett, right? Come to try your hand at questioning the patient once more?
BennettMight as well.
MillerIt’s funny; when we mentioned you might come in for further questioning as we were leaving, the patient seemed to be extremely frightened. Do you have any idea why?
Saunders hangs up the phone then walks back to Bennett.SaundersYes sir, we need clearance to transfer this patient...
GeneralBefore you ask me for favours, Jason, maybe you can answer me a few things; like why this man is so important to any case you’re working on... or what those cases may be, exactly?
SaundersSir?
GeneralLet’s just say I have reason to believe you’re doing more than what’s being asked. Not that I’m surprised, but I’m trying to look out for what’s best for this operation and I hope you’re not keeping secrets from me.
SaundersUmm... okay. Bennett and I believe this man, so close to San Francisco where the LifeSource headquarters is located, could possibly be involved somehow with the recent thefts of Regeneration Pods since this man came in completely bloody and burnt, filled with bullet wounds, and seemed to be stable enough to receive normal treatment which any other person would have died from. I thought this was all understood in my request.
GeneralAlright, Saunders, no need to be snarky. I’ll make a call to get you your request but we need to talk more later.
SaundersLooking forward to it, sir.
Miller’s phone rings.MillerMr. Saunders! It’s Nice to see you again so soon in our beautiful city.
SaundersCalm down, Miller. You obviously don’t get out of the city much if you call this place “beautiful.”
Miller walks away to take the call.MillerWell, you are free to interrogate the patient. Excuse me for a minute.
They start walking to the room when agent Miller stops them.BennettSo are we good?
SaundersWe may have another problem. I think I know where Joe Tyler is. I believe he was in that meeting with the General and told him to keep a close eye on us or something.
BennettWell that’s just great.
SaundersWe’ll worry about that later. Let’s go.
Saunders continues walking.MillerMr. Saunders! I just received word that you’re free to take the patient.
SaundersGood.
Saunders and Bennett once again start heading towards the door when Saunders’ phone rings.MillerBut after 24 hours to let us finish questioning the patient, which is what I just begged for and was granted.
SaundersAre you done, gloating? You’re cutting into our interrogation time.
MillerMy apologies. Please, go on.
It’s an unknown number and had just sent an image to agent Saunders’ phone. Saunders stares at the picture with wide eyes and a dropped jaw.SaundersNow what?
BennettWhat is it?
SaundersDamn it!
Gabriel and Lionel are standing in Carrie Walsh’s apartment. Gabriel had just finish sending Agent Saunders an image of the man he is about to interrogate in the Oakland incident.
GabrielIt’s done. They have the picture.
LionelSo what?
GabrielSo now they know that I have leverage with proof of their secret assignment in Oakland. Maybe they were going to kill that man before but now they might hold off.
LionelSo it’s blackmail, then?
GabrielYes, but not for that reason. I also sent a text telling them to drop the search on Lisa. They probably won’t but there’s a chance they might. Besides, I have no problem taking this information public.
LionelSo why are we in Carrie Walsh’s apartment, exactly?
GabrielIt’s a message. This is where I last escaped from them.
LionelAh, I see. So further taunting. Well that means Agent Saunders is going to trace the call here.
GabrielAnd I’ll leave the phone for him here. He’s not going call to trace it right away. He’ll look too suspicious in the hospital with the local FBI on his back. Right now he’s questioning the patient.
LionelHow do you get a hold of so many phones?
GabrielI know a guy.
LionelWell that couldn’t be any more vague.
GabrielMaybe I’ll introduce you to him; that is if I ever find him again. He’s even more secretive than I am.
LionelHard to imagine. So where do I fit in all this? There could be cameras around. It almost seems like you’re setting me up to be caught as the caller.
GabrielCameras aren’t a problem for me. Carrie Walsh is significant. She was taken by the agents. I don’t know what she’s doing, if she’s being held against her will, or what the agents are planning but if we can find her maybe we can get some answers.
LionelIf the FBI has her then how will we ‘find’ her? Isn’t she with them? We can’t exactly go walking into the FBI building and look around.
GabrielSure we could, but I don’t think she’s being held in an FBI building. I thought about this and with all the employees at LifeSource disappearing I would assume there’s a secondary location they control to keep everyone.
LionelLike a prison?
GabrielPossibly. I have a plan that might help find her. It involves giving the agents more trouble. That’s why we’re in Carrie’s apartment.
To be continued...
No comments:
Post a Comment
Leave a comment here!