Before You Read!

If this is your first time here, you might want to check out the Introduction before you begin or start off from the beginning with Chapter 1: Reborn (Part 1).

Chapter 9: Mess With The Bull... (Part 3)

Part 1Part 2Part 3

Lisa starts frantically running around the house, looking for what’s essential to pack.
Ryan
Mom, what are you doing?

Lisa
We can’t stay here. You saw what they said on the news. It’s not safe for us anymore.

Ryan
But they never mentioned us, or showed our picture, or mentioned our address…

Lisa
Ryan, that’s not the point...

Ryan
They were only talking about Gabriel, mom, it had nothing to do with us.
There’s a knock on the door, but Lisa checks the peephole before answering it.
Mary
Hey, neighbour. I heard you were looking for me. I was wondering if you both could come over for a moment. Ryan can play with the kids and us grownups can talk.

Lisa
Uh, sure. Just give us a minute, okay?

Mary
Sure thing.
Lisa closes the door and looks at Ryan. She had almost forgotten about his birthday party. She almost forgot that Ryan is making new friends and settling in with this life. She is now realizing why her father set up all of this. It’s because of Ryan. If it wasn’t for him, this new house, the new neighbours, everything wouldn’t be there. It’s also what Adam died for.



Agents Bennett and Saunders are talking amongst themselves in a van.
Saunders
What do you make of the conversation?

Bennett
It sounds legit enough.

Saunders
What about all those questions about where Carrie’s been and all that?

Bennett
Sounds like questions I would probably ask if I were in his shoes.

Saunders
I don’t know. I have this feeling they were both trying to mess with us.

Bennett
You’re becoming paranoid.

Saunders
You’re damn right I am! Have you seen what’s been happening lately? I’m better off being paranoid!

Bennett
That may be, but we still have nothing on Lionel to determine whether he’s working with someone or not. We can’t take a chance of screwing up relationships with LifeSource.
Carrie walks into the van.
Saunders
Good job, Miss Walsh.

Carrie
So, what now; back to the building?

Saunders
You need to keep the cover you just made yourself.

Carrie
I didn’t give him an answer to that job offer.

Saunders
You will. You’re going to be a spy for us. I was merely talking about your cover as a free citizen.

Carrie
Who’s going to be spying on me, then?

Saunders
Don’t worry, there will always be someone.


Lisa and Ryan are walking back to the house.
Ryan
What did you talk about?

Lisa
Your birthday. Don’t ask me about it, it’s a secret.

Ryan
Oh come on, just tell me...
Lisa opened the door to their house. She and Ryan are left frozen when they see Gabriel sitting on one of the living room chairs.
Gabriel
I was in the neighbourhood.

Lisa
What the hell are you doing here? The FBI... wait... or was it the NSA? Never mind, you’re wanted!

Gabriel
I was framed.

Lisa
Doesn’t change the fact that you’re putting us in danger just being here.

Gabriel
So you believe me, then? Glad to see that trust is coming back.

Lisa
Why are you here?

Gabriel
I have nowhere else to go.

Lisa
You have everywhere else to go, except here.

Ryan
Mom. What if nobody knows he’s here?

Gabriel
I wasn’t followed. I’m never followed. I need a place to stay hidden for a long while and I can protect you in case anyone comes here.
Lisa stops and thinks. She has many questions for Gabriel and he may be useful.
Lisa
Fine. You can stay in the basement.

Gabriel
You guys have a basement?

Lisa
You need to stay hidden so stay down there.

Gabriel
What about Internet access?

Lisa
What about it?

Gabriel
I need to be kept informed of what’s going on. My other means of communication with a source was just cut off so I need something to keep up with what’s happening.

Lisa
Well we don’t have any computers in this house. I can get a TV down there if you really need it.

Gabriel
Does the TV have a web browser?

Lisa
No, I’m going to go out and by an old LCD TV. They’re cheap.

Gabriel
Outdated technology. Great.

Lisa
You can get yourself settled for now. We need to talk in the morning.
Gabriel heads down to the basement.
Lisa (to Ryan)
I don’t want you talking with him for now, understood?
Ryan nods in agreement.
Lisa
Good. Now, let’s talk cake.


The next morning, Gabriel is watching the news on the TV Lisa had got for him the day before. The broadcasters are reminding the public of the same information as they had mentioned yesterday. He starts channel surfing with picture in picture across many news networks. Ryan comes downstairs and walks into the kitchen.
Lisa
Good morning, birthday boy!

Ryan
I thought it was tomorrow?

Lisa
Yes, but I thought we could start celebrating today. I made pancakes.

Ryan
Where’s Uncle Daniel?
Lisa drops the utensils she was holding on the floor.
Lisa
What did you say?

Ryan
I asked where Uncle Daniel is.

Lisa
Ryan, I’m not sure we should be so formal with someone we barely know.

Ryan
He was dad’s brother, mom.

Lisa
Just, don’t call him that for now. It’s clear he doesn’t want us to.
Gabriel walks into the kitchen.
Gabriel
Is everything alright? I thought I heard something.

Lisa
Just dropped some things.

Ryan
Mom made pancakes.
Gabriel looks at Lisa.
Lisa
Enough for three.

Gabriel
Thank you.

Lisa
Can we talk for a minute?
They both walk into the other room.
Gabriel
What is it?

Lisa
Alright, this time you have to give me answers. You owe me now.

Gabriel
Well, if we’re keeping score, I don’t think that’s true.

Lisa
You lied to me. You said you weren’t Adam’s brother.

Gabriel
I lost that identity long ago.

Lisa
What does that mean?

Gabriel
I had no choice, Lisa. When I was in Iraq they captured me and made it seem like I’m dead. When they finally let me out, I wasn’t the same. I needed to pretend to still be dead. So my new identity was born. I know it sounds ridiculous but it’s a big personal thing of mine.

Lisa
Well why didn’t the US army tell Adam you were alive when you returned?

Gabriel
You misunderstood what I said. The US army captured me.

Lisa
What? Why?

Gabriel
I’m not a terrorist, Lisa. It was a set up. Believe me; you don’t want to know why. All I can say is this thing goes deep and the government isn’t always giving their best intentions.

Lisa
You still shouldn’t have lied.

Gabriel
I’m sorry.

Lisa
Is Adam alive?

Gabriel
... I still don’t know.

Lisa
So what the hell have you been doing?

Gabriel
Trying to keep you safe. I’ve done that for the most part by keeping the FBI agents who are looking for you busy but it kind of backfired and now they seem to only be focused on me.

Lisa
So, essentially, you screwed us by trying to help us.

Gabriel
You’re still safe. That picture they showed was when I was younger. I can keep hidden and this beard usually keeps me from being identified. They didn’t really seem to mention you much on any news channel I saw.

Lisa
Okay then. Well...
Lisa checks around to make sure Ryan isn’t spying.
Lisa
Can I ask you a favour?

Gabriel
What is it?

Lisa
I need something back at my house.

Gabriel
I can’t go back there. It’s too dangerous.

Lisa
You said you were good at being hidden. This is really important and I was even considering risking myself for this but it would be much better if you went instead.

Gabriel
What is it you’re looking for that could possibly make you consider risking your life to get?


Carrie walks into Lionel’s office.
Lionel
Welcome to LifeSource, Miss Walsh.

Carrie
So what exactly will be doing here?

Lionel
It’s all in the memo I left you. It’s pretty routine stuff. Honestly, I wanted you back here. I wanted you to work in a place that feels more like a home and I know the recent incident with Adam isn’t really the best news to know for someone who’s interviewing you.

Carrie
Well thanks for the opportunity.

Lionel
Stacy, will show you to your new office.
Stacy brings Carrie to her new office. Carrie sees a folder on her desk. She opens it and reads through the documents explaining her position and roles in LifeSource. A small piece of paper falls out. It reads “your real job description is in the drawer”. Carrie opens a drawer under her desk and sees another folder; this one explaining her position and roles in fighting back against the FBI.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment here!