Before You Read!

If this is your first time here, you might want to check out the Introduction before you begin or start off from the beginning with Chapter 1: Reborn (Part 1).

Chapter 2: New Beginnings (Part 1)

Part 1Part 2Part 3

The doors of the Brooke family’s breakfast diner are flung open as Joe Tyler walks through them. He had often brought his daughter and her family here. He loves this place; the smell of the freshly cooked bacon seems to float around the entire restaurant, the wooden doors that lead to the bathrooms and kitchen, and the quaint booths that were a perfect fit for his usual group. As he approaches the podium where the waitress would greet him. He quickly scans the room, the blond girl behind the podium notices Joe as he walks in.
Megan
Hey, Mr. Tyler, you haven’t been here in a while. How have you been?
She is about eighteen, and is just starting college. She is Joe’s favourite waitress and they always talk a good deal when he comes in.
Megan
Do you want your usual seat?
Joe
Oh, uh...hi Megan, I didn’t see you there. I’ve been pretty good; and sure the usual is fine. How are–
He stops when he sees a familiar face watching him from a bar stool across the restaurant.
Joe
Actually, if you don’t mind, I’m going to go speak to someone for a moment. I’ll seat myself when I’m done and call you when I’m ready to order. Thanks Megan.
He turns and walks away before she even has a chance to respond. The floors creaks predictably as he makes his way over to the man on the stool who stops staring and is now focusing on the glass of pop which rests against his lips.
Joe
Adam?
He is confused as to why his son-in-law is sitting there after the information he received. What is more confusing than that is he has beard when Joe knows Adam to always be clean-shaven. As the man turns back towards him Joe realizes he is wrong.
Joe
Sorry. I thought you were somebody I know.
The man raises his hand and waves away the matter.
Gabriel
It’s alright.
Then he returns to his drink as Joe starts walking to his usual booth. On his walk back Joe takes one more check around the restaurant in an attempt to find his daughter. The minutes pass slowly for him as he waits. The second hand on his watch ticks away moment by moment until he notices that he had been waiting for about fifteen minutes. “Where is she?” He thinks to himself as he looks around once more to see no change except that the man he accused of being Adam is now paying his bill and leaving his seat. Joe reaches for the phone in his pocket and opens his contacts menu. He manages to type in L-I- before a voice breaks his concentration.
Gabriel
There’s not much use dialing that number. No one will answer.
Joe
What?
Joe blinks in confusion as he looks up to see a man in black jeans and a matching hooded shirt. It is the same man from earlier.
Joe
Excuse me, but do I know you?
The man chuckles in amusement at the feeling of déjà-vu.
Gabriel
No, but I know you.
Joe
What?
Gabriel
Who else knows you’re here?
Joe
Who are you? How do you know me?
The stranger sighs.
Gabriel
Why can’t anyone just answer my questions? You can call me Gabriel. I’m here on behalf of Lisa.
Joe
How do you know Lisa?
Gabriel
I don’t.
Joe
Then how...
Gabriel
Again, who else knows you’re here?
Joe
Um... as far as I know, just Lisa. What’s going on here?
Gabriel
Well, I don’t know what you consider ‘on the run and hiding’ but it includes not going into a public place where you make a regular appearance when meeting someone you know who could be monitored by people you are hiding from. Hence, I am here.
Joe
Oh...bad call on my part I assume. I think I understand now. So you do know Lisa?
Gabriel
I know of her.
Gabriel leans against the edge of the booth. He truly enjoys messing with people like this. Not for the sake of cruelty, more in a sense of his own form of mysterious humour.
Joe
...Does she ‘know of you’?
Gabriel
Not anymore than you do.
Joe
Then why should either of us trust you if we don’t know who you are?
Gabriel
I never said you should trust me. I’m just here for the money.
Gabriel out stretches his arm in anticipation for the money.
Joe
And what if I don’t want to give you the money?
Gabriel
Well, I’m not really one for stealing, but if I must then I guess I’ll have to take it from you.
Gabriel raises his fist and cracks his knuckles in order to intimidate Mr. Tyler.
Joe
Well, maybe I should just call the police.
The billionaire tires to return the intimidation as he reaches for his phone. Before Joe even manages to punch in the "9" key, Gabriel grabs his hand and stops him.
Gabriel
That’s probably not something you want to do. You know the situation Lisa is in. You know that calling the police would make things worse. You wouldn’t be helping her, you’d only lose her and she’s all you’ve got right now. You can’t lose the only person you’ve got. That’s why the only option you have is to give the money to me so that she can be safe.
The look on Joe’s face reveals his understanding about the subject, and there is a moment of mutual silence between the two for a moment. Joe slowly raises a duffle bag of money and other necessities and places it in Gabriel’s hand. Money-in-hand, Gabriel stands up and turns himself towards the door.
Joe
Wait! Will I ever see her or Ryan again?
His face sinks as he asks the question, knowing full-well what the answer is going to be, but hoping entirely against it.
Gabriel
Probably not.
Joe
You really do look like somebody I know.
Gabriel
Do you know me?
Joe
Well...no.
Gabriel
Then I don’t look like someone you know.
Gabriel never once looks back at Joe after he gets up from the table. He walks away and cracks open through the door without making a sound.



Lisa and Ryan find themselves in a tiny motel room with not much more than an old plasma TV and a broken window. The room is humid and the little fan that sways from side to side is nowhere near powerful enough to affect the atmosphere of the room. Tear tracks line Lisa’s face because she had spent the last few hours of her night explaining their current situation to Ryan. His face seems to mimic hers; the depressed expression, the tear tracks, the way their heads hang low and completely silent, that is, apart from the short lived breaths and the minute whimpering which carries in sequence every few moments.
Ryan
So, dad is still alive then?
Lisa
For now. He has several hours left if they still believe the lie we told them.
Ryan
Mom, there’s no way they’re going to believe that forever. They can’t kill dad.
Lisa knows that Ryan is a smart kid, but she had hoped he wouldn’t be able to realize his father’s fate.
Lisa
I know, but there’s still a chance. Listen, this is all the more reason we have to keep going because they probably have found out by now and might be looking for us.
Ryan
We never went back to the hospital; of course they are looking for us.
Lisa
Yes, but they still don’t know for sure if what we said is true, so...
Ryan looks at his mom with a blank face, knowing full well what is happening.
Ryan
Mom, I don’t think they’re stupid. I’m only twelve, and I could figure it out.
He knows she is just trying to look out for him, but he hates having people treat him as if he would not understand a situation, just based on his age.
Lisa
Alright, but we can’t go just yet. We have to wait for Gabriel to come back.
Ryan
I don’t like that guy, mom.
Lisa
I’m not so crazy about him either, but he seems to want to help. I wonder how he knows us.
Lisa has been thinking about this a lot lately; how could someone she had never met possibly know so much about her and her family?
Ryan
Well, he looks a little like dad, other than the beard and the eyes.
Lisa takes a moment to think about it.
Lisa
Huh...I hadn’t noticed, but I guess you’re right.
Ryan
Maybe he’s his brother?
Lisa
No. Your father did have a brother, but he died a long time ago.
Ryan
I didn’t know that.
Lisa
Well, he doesn’t like to talk about it. If you want, I can –
She is cut off by a loud knocking at the door. She gives Ryan a look and tells him to stay silent so he doesn’t attract attention in the off chance it were the authorities. She slips off the bed and slowly walks to the door, glancing out the peep hole and trying to make out who it is. It is dark out, so it took her a moment to see the dark clothing that is now famously associated with Gabriel. She opens the door, relieved that it is him as he hands her a large bag.
Gabriel
Here’s your money, new ID and everything else you will need. You’re on your own from here on out.
Lisa
You’re leaving?
Gabriel
Yes.
Lisa
Why?
Lisa is unsure how well she will manage from this point on.
Gabriel
You no longer need me.
Lisa
Well, when will we see you again?
Gabriel
When you need me.
Lisa
How will we contact you?
Gabriel
You won’t need to. Good luck.
He turns around to reach for the doorknob, but he is stopped by Lisa’s voice before he could turn it.
Lisa
How do you know Adam?
There is a silence in the room which seems to weigh down on everyone.
Lisa
You’re… You’re Daniel, aren’t you? You’re his brother!
Gabriel opens the door, before he answers her.
Gabriel
No.
And with that, the door is slammed shut, and he is gone.



Joe steps out of his car and stretches himself out. He walks out of the garage and closes the door behind him, turning to find Agents Bennett and Saunders waiting for him in front of his house – which coincidentally is more of a small mansion than a house.
Saunders
Do you mind if we ask you some questions, Mr. Tyler?
Joe just simply nods his head in silence.
Saunders
Have you seen or talked to your daughter since the accident?
Joe
No. Why has she disappeared exactly?
Saunders
You’re playing dumb, Mr. Tyler. Don’t think I can’t tell. It took me a while but I learned to call your bluffs in poker.
Joe
Fine, I know a little more than I let on but I’m missing some details here. Just humour me so I can understand a little better exactly what happened.
Saunders
Well, you obviously know about the crash. Officially, the situation is that there is some confusion at the hospital over who had died after the crash.
Joe
What do you mean ‘who had died’? You’re talking about Adam, right?
Saunders
We’re talking about the both of them, Mr. Tyler. There are conflicting witness reports from the hospital that either one of the two had died in the crash. The assumption is that many nurses and doctors are good friends of Mr. Fields and are trying to cover for him, but we’re not sure which is a cover or not. I mean, why would someone want to die?
Joe
Wait, are you suggesting he’s claiming he died when he actually didn’t so that they will kill him?
Saunders
Well you could have said it in a way that didn’t make your son-in-law sound like a complete idiot.
Joe
And what way would that be, Jason?
Saunders
Well, it’s obviously a romantic gesture. We think there’s a possibility he’s lying so that his wife had a chance to leave and make a run for it.
Joe
So, Lisa is the one who died?
Saunders
Hell, they could have both died and he could still be covering for her. Doesn’t that just tear at your heart strings and make you want to cry?
Joe
This is a little confusing. What’s going to happen?
Saunders
Well, while we figure the story out, there’s a good chance Mr. Fields can be kept in a Holding Room until we know exactly what’s going on. Even if your daughter didn’t die she is still wanted for questioning.
Joe
Holding Room, huh?
Saunders
Oh, sorry, I forgot to wink when I said that.
Joe
Alright, so, what do you believe is going on?
Saunders
You’re asking me? I think you have me confused with someone who cares.
Bennett
We...
Saunders clears his throat.
Bennett
... I believe that Mrs. Fields died for sure but I’m unclear as to whether Mr. Fields indeed died or not. There is one nurse who has been identified as one of the original people to cause confusion of this story. She has been fired as a result but will now no longer comment on the situation so she could also be charged and possibly receive a prison sentence.
Joe
Isn’t there camera footage?
Bennett
All cameras in the hospital were shut down somehow during the time the two of them were there. We’re still trying to figure that one out.
Joe
Are you the ones looking for Lisa?
Saunders
You know we have better things to do.
Joe
Good. I can only imagine how your team would handle the situation.
Saunders
Stop, you’re embarrassing me. So, have you been in contact with Lisa since the crash?
Joe
No.
Saunders
Alright, keep your secrets, old man. We’ve got work to do and I don’t have time to play poker with you.
Joe
I guess we’ll have to wait until Friday, then.
Saunders
Fine, but it’s your turn to pay for pizza. And remember that Agent Bennett here hates mushrooms. Don’t screw that up again!

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment here!