| Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 |
Huffing and puffing, the behemoth that is Agent Saunders erupts from the main elevator doors of the Hospital.
SaundersHe starts to scan the area for Gabriel.
Where did he go!?
ChangAgent Chang is simply baffled; it is unlike Saunders to make mistakes in general, let alone something like this.
What do you mean? He never even came down…
SaundersHis face begins to redden, he is obviously a little embarrassed by his blunder, but more so, he is angry with both himself, and Gabriel.
So, no one saw him running through the halls?
ChangChang doesn’t even finish his sentence before Saunders walks past him to get to his partner. The agent punches the wall as he is nearing Bennett, leaving a decent sized dent in the block work of the hospital.
I…don’t really know what to tell you, sir. I’m just as confused as you are.
Saunders
Who the hell is this guy?
Bennett
I don’t know, but whoever he is, he’s a pro.
Saunders
No! A pro wouldn’t have missed.
BennettIt had been a while since Bennett had a chance to mess with his partner; and despite the severity of the situation, he is kind of enjoying it. There is a slight pause, a single moment where nothing came from either of them.
Unless he meant to miss
Saunders
…Who the hell is this guy?
Klang! The keys fall from the hands of the ex-nurse as she fumbles with them at her doorstep. “Home sweet home” Carrie thinks to herself as she picks them up. She lives in the top floor of an apartment complex on the corner of Laurier Ave. and Washington Blvd. And although the walk to the top floor was a pain – mostly because there was an elevator that the complex owner hasn’t fixed in several years – she likes where she lives.
She pushes open the door and walks inside. She marches past the living room and into her kitchen towards the refrigerator. She grabs the wine sitting at the back of the top shelf and then a small glass. This is her routine, you see; to come home, have a glass of wine and then get to what needs to be doing.
GabrielThe calm voice came from behind her in the living room. Carrie screams a terrible shriek and drops her glass before she walks cautiously towards the voice, ladle in hand for protection.
Hello, Carrie. Mind if I have a glass too?
Carrie
W-who is there?
GabrielIt takes her a moment to analyze the man sitting in the chair right in front of her, but the scruffy black hair and deep grey-blue eyes finally strikes her memory.
Don’t you recognize me?
Carrie
…Daniel?
Gabriel
It’s been a long time.
Carrie
What…how are you…you’re supposed to be dead!
GabrielGabriel reveals his famous sarcasm and the nurse blushes a little.
I know. And please, try not to sound so happy about it.
Carrie
Sorry about that. But, what do you mean ‘I know’!? What happened?
Gabriel
It’s a pretty long and complicated story. First I need to ask you the same question. What happened?
CarrieGabriel nods his head so she can continue.
With Adam, you mean?
Carrie
Well that’s another long and complicated story.
Gabriel
I figured it would be.
RyanRyan finally notices that his mother is no longer wearing the glasses that she always wears. They are still driving towards their new home.
What happened to your glasses, mom?
LisaLisa explains as best she could. She really doesn’t know what has been happening; she just knows she no longer has that negative-four vision which plagued her family with nearsightedness. Ryan tilts his head as he thinks about this.
I uh… I can see better without them.
Ryan
Then why do you wear them?
LisaLisa turns up the dial which seems like such a vintage concept to her after using voice commands for so long. The radio is on a local news station.
No, I mean… never mind. Let’s just listen to the radio.
Radio
…Our continuing coverage of the incident of LifeSource founder Adam Fields and his wife after they were involved in a deliberate collision. Hours ago, after the police were supposedly close to capturing Mrs. Fields, who has been in hiding ever since. A man was caught by the FBI in the hospital’s Holding Room in which Mr. Fields was being held.
LisaLisa is losing the calm and cool composure that she was trying to hold for her son. She tries to get a hold of herself quickly, before Ryan notices.
Oh my God!
Radio
FBI describes the man as tall, dark hair, a thick, full beard…
RyanLisa’s knuckles are white against the steering wheel.
Mom, that kind of sounds like Gabriel, doesn’t it?
LisaShe doesn’t know whether to feel surprised, or angry, or both; all she can do for now is listen.
Yes, it does.
Radio
FBI refused to comment on what is going to happen to Mr. Fields but we will keep you posted as this story develops.
Lisa
Alright… let’s find a music station.
GabrielGabriel leans forward in his chair to put his coffee onto Carrie Walsh’s living room table.
So he didn’t die then?
CarrieCarrie takes another sip.
No.
Gabriel
And you really think that’s what they’ll do to him?
Carrie
Well, I don’t know for sure, but I have this feeling like there is something bigger going on that we don’t know about.
Gabriel
That makes two of use.
Carrie
Anything you want to share?
Gabriel
I don’t think it’s anything more than you know.
Carrie
Well, first George Caldwell is killed, then Adam is attacked plus he keeps talking about how LifeSource members have been slowly leaving the company. It just seems like–
Gabriel
Wait... What did you say? People are leaving LifeSource?
CarrieCarrie’s voice slowly starts to fade as she notices the worried look on Gabriel’s face.
Adam has been saying that there has been a lot of people who have been leaving; key people who have been there for years mostly. They usually say they found better opportunities or they’re worried about their family because of the Protesters and their threats…
Carrie
What is it? Are you okay?
Gabriel
Yeah, I’m fine; but I have a theory. Has anybody come to you lately? Anyone from the government or even the FBI?
Carrie
I’ve only been questioned about what happened the other day, but I’ve been lying to them just as Adam had asked.
Gabriel
Alright, well I’m going to need you to do something for me.
CarrieCarrie is hesitant but she already knows she wouldn’t have much choice in the situation.
I don’t know…
Carrie
I’m still dealing with the last favour I promised someone.
Gabriel
Exactly. Sooner or later they’re going to come to arrest you.
CarrieShe rolls her eyes as she drops her back into the seat.
Great.
GabrielCarrie is confused.
Calm down. Hopefully, the FBI will be even quicker than they are.
Carrie
What’s that supposed to mean?
Gabriel
There may be people asking you to help them work on something in secret in return for them clearing up any charges you have to avoid being arrested.
CarrieGabriel ignores the question.
How do you know this?
Gabriel
I told you. I have my theories. Now, I don’t think these guys are up to anything good but you should accept their offer and work with them. Pretend you’re on their side and see what’s going on. You’re better off with them than in prison.
Carrie
I have no idea what you’re talking about, but if that’s true…then I agree. I’d rather be doing something questionable than stuck in a prison cell.
GabrielGabriel is both excited and worried by the conspiracies he is trying to work through in his mind.
If we’re right about this, we could be uncovering something big.
Carrie
Speaking of which, are you going to tell me how you’re still alive?
Gabriel
I told you, it’s a long story, but if I tell you everything it will make a lot more sense.
Carrie
Well, let’s see how much you can tell me before they come to arrest me.
SaundersSaunders knows that watching footage is always a tedious task.
So how much camera footage are we talking about here?
Bennett
Well between the hospital cameras and the cameras of the buildings close to the motel…
Saunders
In that case…I’ll go make some popcorn.
ChangAgent Chang calls out as he bursts through the door.
Sir!
Chang
We found out the cameras were disabled.
Bennett
You mean the night of the crash? We already know.
ChangSaunders’ head drops at the news.
No, I mean from today. The cameras were out when this mystery guy escaped. Every camera in the hospital.
Saunders
I’m not having a good day Chang…I blame you.
Chang
What the hell did I do!?
Saunders
You wore that stupid tie.
RyanRyan is getting tired of being on the road.
How much farther, mom?
LisaLisa pulls into the driveway of their new home. It is a raised ranch with a large bow window in the front. It has an attached garage and a white front door in the center of its red brick walls.
Actually, we’re here.
Ryan
I don’t like it.
Lisa
You haven’t even seen it yet.
Ryan
Well, our old house was bigger.
Lisa
I already told you this one would be smaller.
Ryan
I know, but I never said I would like it.
LisaLisa unlocks the car doors and pops the trunk. She steps out and meets Ryan behind the car to grab all their stuff.
No, I guess you didn’t. Come on, grumpy, let’s go inside.
RyanLisa takes a moment to look around and sees a family of four walking towards them from next door carrying a cake and masked with enthusiastic smiles.
Um, mom…
Lisa
Relax, honey, let’s see what they want.
Mary
Well hello, neighbour! Welcome to your new home!
Lisa
Thank you. I’m Melissa and this is my son Ryan.
Mary
Nice to meet you, I’m Mary; this is my husband, Tom, my son, Mason, and my daughter Charlotte.
LisaLisa inspects the family; Mary has jet black hair and is wearing a blue dress next to her husband who has on a brown suit with elbow patches that reminded her of her eleventh grade history teacher. Finally the children each have their mother’s black hair and share her massive smile.
Nice to meet you.
Mary
I’m surprised you came here so quickly.
Lisa
I’m sorry?
Mary
Well, just the other day we saw a moving truck at Mr. Bondy’s house and asked him what is going on. I guess he inherited a lot of money and couldn’t wait find a new house.
Lisa
Ah, yes. We were very lucky to see he was selling and he gave us a good price, so we decided to move right away.
Mary
Well, I guess we should leave you to take a look at your new home.
Lisa
Thank you. It was nice meeting you all.
Mary
Don’t be a stranger, come over anytime. We can make play dates for the kids.
LisaLisa and Ryan return to their new home and walk through their new door. As the door closes, Ryan looks up at his mother.
Sure, that sounds fun.
Ryan
A play date? I’m not four.
Lisa
Ryan, be nice; you might have fun.
RyanRyan rolls his eyes.
I thought we were supposed to be hiding?
Lisa
Sometimes blending in is hiding. Its better we get along with each other than avoid them.
Ryan
Alright.
Lisa
Come on, let’s go unpack.
To be continued...
Can't wait for more? The writers answer your questions and discuss more about the story on the second podcast. You can download the MP3 or subscribe to the feed. If you just want to read the short Q&A portion of the podcast it is transcribed here!
Can't wait for more? The writers answer your questions and discuss more about the story on the second podcast. You can download the MP3 or subscribe to the feed. If you just want to read the short Q&A portion of the podcast it is transcribed here!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Leave a comment here!