Before You Read!

If this is your first time here, you might want to check out the Introduction before you begin or start off from the beginning with Chapter 1: Reborn (Part 1).

Chapter 3: In Times of War (Part 3)

Part 1Part 2Part 3
Bennett
Sir, we have to deal with a witness.

Saunders
A witness to what?

Bennett
The nurse who was with Mr. and Mrs. Fields at the hospital.

Saunders
Oh, right… her. What’s her name again? ‘Welsh’?

Bennett
Walsh’, sir.

Saunders
I knew it is something that sounded weird…Irish maybe? Anyways, let’s go get her. I have a plan for her.

Bennett
What’s that?

Saunders
We need a doctor.

Bennett
We have plenty of doctors.

Saunders
Yes, but we’re already having them do too much. Come on, we’re not trying to be evil employers. It’s bad for business.

Bennett
So what’s the plan for this nurse?

Saunders
We need someone to take care of what’s going on downstairs, has knowledge of the Pods, and it also doesn’t hurt that she has a personal relationship with Mr. Fields and some of the other employees of LifeSource.

Bennett
I see what you mean. I’ll go get her.

Saunders
I’ll come too. No offense, Bennett, but you tend to scare people. Besides, I’ve been looking at surveillance videos all day; I need to stretch my legs.

A loud ringing comes from Gabriel’s pocket and he lets out a sigh as he takes out a phone and looks at the screen.
Carrie
What’s is it?

Gabriel
They’re coming.

Carrie
How do you know that?

Gabriel
Not important. I need to get going. Remember everything I told you. Stick to the plan. Do whatever they ask you to do. When the time comes, you’ll need to betray them and report that information to me so we can stop whatever they’re doing.

Carrie
We don’t even know what that is yet. They could be working on something good.

Gabriel
Whatever it is they’re working on, it can’t be for good. I just don’t know what it is yet.

Carrie
Alright. Will I see you again?

Gabriel
Yes. We’ll meet again. It was really nice seeing you, Carrie.

Carrie
You too, Daniel.

Gabriel
Oh, right. About that; you should know from now on, call me...
Carrie has a puzzled look on her face and Gabriel just stares into her eyes not seeing the point in finishing that sentence.
Gabriel
Never mind. It’s not important. Goodbye, Carrie.
Gabriel walks over to the window and crawls out of it.

2009 – Army Dormitories
Daniel
Leonard! Ouch!
Daniel trips in the dark over the chest that is laying at the foot of Leonard’s bed.
Daniel
Leonard, wake up!

Leonard
Ugh, what do you want, John?

Daniel
I can’t stay here. I have to leave.

Leonard
What? How the hell are you going to leave? Why would you want to?

Daniel
It’s my brother. It’s not right that he has to think I’m dead. It’s not right that I’m still here and I can’t see him. It’s not right that they’re making me stay here.

Leonard
But, John...

Daniel
I don’t think there’s much point to calling me that name anymore.

Leonard
Daniel, your brother is successful now. He started that company, the government is finally giving him funding, and he’s provided a lot of support for the military. Maybe they’ll reconsider your agreement and let you see your brother now that he’s on his way.

Daniel
I don’t know if they’ll do that.

Leonard
It’s worth a shot. Isn’t it?
Daniel sits on the end of the bed and shakes his head as they sit in silence for a moment until Leonard sighs.
Leonard
I shouldn’t be telling you this...

Daniel
What? What is it?

Leonard
Rumor has it your brother’s found a girl.

Daniel
Really?

Leonard
Yeah. Jimmy told me it’s the daughter of that billionaire, Joe Tyler.

Daniel
You’re kidding me!

Leonard
I’m just saying your brother seems happy. I’m sure that if you ask them they’ll let you see him again. Everything seems alright now. Those fancy looking machines we recently received that your brother worked on seem to be pretty important.

Daniel
Right now all they do is keep a heart beating a little longer before someone dies.

Leonard
It’s healed two men so far.

Daniel
One of those guys is in a coma and the other one is barely injured. And he seems different now.

Leonard
How so?

Daniel
For one his breathing improved. He had a small asthma problem, you see. Why someone with asthma joined the army is beyond me, but it seems like it’s all but gone now.

Leonard
I don’t really understand what that means.

Daniel
I don’t know. Never mind. I’ll talk to the general and see what he says.

Present Day
The doorbell rings and Carrie opens the door to see a large man standing in front of her.
Saunders
Carrie Welsh?

Carrie
Walsh.

Saunders
My apologies. I’m Agent Saunders of the FBI. May I come in?

Carrie
What is this about?

Saunders
I just have a couple questions to ask you.
Carrie steps aside to allow agent Saunders to come inside as Gabriel slides down the railing of the fire escape and walks out of the alley and into the streets. He looks around for a moment and sees Agent Bennett is sitting in the car outside the apartment.
Bennett
Where the hell is he getting that I scare people? I think I’m adorable.
Bennett is watching people walk by when he notices a man in a black hood leaving a nearby alley and walking in the other direction.
Bennett
No...
Bennett starts watching more closely until he’s almost certain the person he’s seeing is the same man he saw at the hospital before he picks up a radio.
Bennett
Uh, sir. I think I found him.

Saunders
What the hell are you talking about? Found who? Aren’t you still sitting in the car?

Bennett
It’s the man from the hospital. He’s walking across the street right now.

Saunders
Are you certain?

Bennett
I could swear that’s him.

Saunders
Follow him. Let me know when you’re sure. Keep me updated.
Gabriel peeks over his shoulder and sees the agent walking out of his car and following him. His eyes widen and he starts running.
Bennett
It’s him!

Saunders
How do you know?

Bennett
Because he’s running!

2009 – Army Base
General
No.

Daniel
‘No,’ sir?

General
That’s right.

Daniel
If you don’t mind me asking... I’m just a little confused. I thought we needed my brother to believe I was dead so he could make progress on his research. He has made progress and you’re funding him now. Why can’t I see him?

General
I do mind you asking. This isn’t a negotiation. This is an order. Your brother is far from where we want him to be. As for you, you were told to forget your old life. You’re dead and that’s the way it stays. Your brother could have single-handedly won this war but that doesn’t change the fact that you’re dead. Of course, with this new president things are looking promising but you are still ordered to forget that life and move on.

Daniel
How can I do that? You’re saying that I can never see my brother again?

General
I’m saying, as long as we are giving the orders you are to follow them. Do I make myself clear?
The General doesn’t even wait for a response and turns his back to Daniel as he starts to walk away.
Daniel
No.

General
What is that?

Daniel
I said no. I can’t go along with this anymore. I can’t keep hiding from Adam. I need to see him. He needs to know I’m alive.

General
Well I have no choice now. I’m sorry son, but you’re not going anywhere.

Present Day – In Carrie’s apartment
Saunders
Chase him. I’m going to call for backup and meet up with you.
Saunders puts down his radio and looks at Carrie, who now has a frightened look on her face.
Saunders
Damn, it’s me who scares people, isn’t it?

Carrie
Huh?

Saunders
Never mind. We’ll have to continue this conversation downtown. I’m going to call a backup car to take you there while I meet up with my partner.

To be continued...

Check back later this week for our third podcast and a Q&A with writer and co-creater, Jesse!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment here!