Before You Read!

If this is your first time here, you might want to check out the Introduction before you begin or start off from the beginning with Chapter 1: Reborn (Part 1).

Chapter 4: Adaptation (Part 2)

Part 1Part 2Part 3

Lisa and Ryan arrive at home and open the front door. Lisa turns on the lights and Gabriel is sitting in the living room.
Gabriel
Lisa.
Lisa screams until she sees its Gabriel and then takes a second to breathe.
Lisa
You know you don’t have to be so stealthy.

Gabriel
It’s a habit, I guess.

Lisa
Ryan, go to your room.

Ryan
Why can’t I stay here?

Lisa
Please just go to your room.
Ryan walks upstairs to his room.
Lisa
What are you doing here?

Gabriel
Have you been watching the news?

Lisa
Why?

Gabriel
We have a problem.

Lisa
Is it about Adam?

Gabriel
That depends; do you want Ryan listening in on this conversation or should I continue?

Lisa
Ryan, go to your room!
Ryan stops listening from atop the stairs and goes to his room.
Gabriel
If you don’t mind me asking, why not have Ryan stay with his grandfather? He’s innocent in all this.

Lisa
I do mind you asking. Now what is this problem you’re talking about?
Gabriel takes out his phone and shows Lisa a video of a news report.
TV Anchor
We have now gotten confirmation that Adam Fields, co-founder of LifeSource Technologies and Pharmaceuticals who has been in a very confusing situation after a car crash, has indeed been shut down with a Regenerative Pod after it was determined his side of the story is what actually happened with little to none evidence stating otherwise.

Lisa
What?! No!

TV Anchor
authorities refuse to make any comments on the situation but if we have any more news you can guarantee we’ll broadcast it here.
Gabriel shuts off his phone.
Gabriel
Don’t believe everything you hear on TV.

Lisa
What do you mean? Is he dead or not?

Gabriel
I can’t say for sure, but I honestly don’t think he is.

Lisa
Why?

Gabriel
I can’t really tell you that because I’m not sure myself.

Lisa
What are you talking about?

Gabriel
After you got away from that police chase I went down to the hospital to try and rescue Adam.

Lisa
Yes, I heard that on the radio.

Gabriel
I was stopped by two FBI agents.

Lisa
Did they know who you are?

Gabriel
I don’t think so. Most people don’t. Anyways, I was able to escape and I talked to Carrie.

Lisa
Carrie Walsh? You know her?

Gabriel
We talked about what happened and we both think there’s something bigger going on here and we expect to find out what that is.

Lisa
What do you mean, ‘something bigger’?

Gabriel
I think there are people involved with this whole thing.

Lisa
But why?

Gabriel
That’s what we intend to find out.
Gabriel starts to walk towards the door.
Lisa
Where are you going?

Gabriel
To find some answers.

Lisa
No, I mean, why are you leaving out the front door? My neighbours might see you.

Gabriel
They’re at a soccer game.

Lisa
How do you always know everything? What about the other neighbours? They...

Gabriel
What?

Lisa
Your leg is bleeding.
Lisa stops and stares at Gabriel as blood drips from his leg and onto the carpet.
Gabriel
Oh, uh, yeah its nothing.

Lisa
Come on.

Gabriel
What are you doing?

Lisa
I’m going to see if we have bandages or anything to take care of that leg.

Saunders and Bennett are at LifeSource.
Saunders
Alright, Charlie, what’s the damage this time?

Charlie
Two.

Saunders
Two? How’d they take two?

Charlie
I don’t know. How do they take one?

Saunders
Well, don’t worry we’ll find it.

Charlie
May I remind you that you have yet to find the last one?

Saunders
We found the first two.

Charlie
I don’t get it. Two Pods missing at the same time. The other times were far between each other and you got the bastards but now this is getting serious.

Saunders
Bennett, take a look around and see what you can find.

Charlie
I’ve checked this whole place and I haven’t found anything. This has got to be an inside job because there’s no sign of a break in or anything.

Saunders
We’ll start questioning employees.

Charlie
That’s not enough. We need tighter security; more guards and more cameras.

Saunders
Done. Did you try GPS location?

Charlie
Yes, but what’s the point? They’ve found a way to disable it somehow.

Saunders
How about the cameras?

Charlie
Disabled.

Saunders
Really? All of them?

Charlie
Yeah. Why?

Saunders
Have you seen anyone suspicious around here? He usually likes to wear dark clothing, sometimes a hood?

Charlie
No. Are you serious? That sounds ridiculous.

Saunders
Yeah, well, this guy is giving us some trouble.

Charlie
You think he did it? Why?

Bennett
We don’t even know who he is yet.

Saunders
Bennett, that’s classified!

Charlie
You got a picture of him?

Saunders
He’s a little camera shy.

Charlie
Well I’ll look out for this character. In the mean time find those Pods.

Saunders
We’ll make it our top priority.

Lisa is bandaging up Gabriel’s wound.
Lisa
So how did this happen?

Gabriel
I told you, those FBI agents.

Lisa
Did they follow you?

Gabriel
No.

Lisa
Good. All done.

Gabriel
Thanks. Now I got to go.
As Gabriel tries to get up Lisa pushes him back down in a chair and presses on the wound. Gabriel screams.
Lisa
Not so fast. You’re going to answer some questions.

Gabriel
What the hell? You could just ask.

Lisa
I know you like to avoid questions so now that I have the chance to get some answers I’m not going to let it slip by.

Gabriel
Lisa, I’m warning you. I’m trying to help you here and you’re treading in waters you don’t– AH!
Lisa presses down on the leg again.
Gabriel
For God’s sake, Ryan is upstairs!

Lisa
We’ll then, cooperate and he won’t have a reason to come downstairs and see what all the screaming is about.

Gabriel
I can honestly say I did not expect this from you.

Lisa
You don’t know me.

Gabriel
No, I guess I don’t.

Lisa
So, who are you?

Gabriel
My name is Gabriel.
Lisa presses on the wound again but Gabriel fights the urge to scream.
Gabriel
Lisa, I’m telling you. You have no clue what I’ve endured. I know it doesn’t seem this way but I’m being passive right now and if you insist on being this hostile I will knock you out and leave you on your own.

Lisa
No you won’t. For some reason you’re helping us which means you need us or there’s some reason you’re protecting us so you’re not going to hurt us. Now who are you? How do you know us, Adam, and my father? Are you Adam’s brother? If so, how are you alive? Were you brought back to life in a Pod?

Gabriel
Lisa...

Lisa
My God, just tell me!
Lisa goes to grab Gabriel’s leg again but Gabriel knocks her out and leaves before Ryan can run downstairs to see his mother on the floor.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment here!