Before You Read!

If this is your first time here, you might want to check out the Introduction before you begin or start off from the beginning with Chapter 1: Reborn (Part 1).

Chapter 9: Mess With The Bull... (Part 2)

Part 1

Lisa knocks on the door to her neighbours’ house. Tom answers the door. The TV is on in the background.
Tom
Oh hello, Melissa.

Lisa
Hi, Tom. I was wondering if I can talk to Mary about Ryan’s party.

Tom
Well, she actually just left to get a gift for Ryan.

Lisa
Oh, I didn’t know she was buying a gift. That’s so sweet.

Tom
Well, she wouldn’t tell me what she was buying but I guess I’ll find out when she gets home. What is it you wanted to ask her?

Lisa
Well, it’s in a couple of days and I still don’t know where it is.

Tom
Oh, yes. I forgot. We’re going to go to Bloopers.

Lisa
What is that?

Tom
Oh it’s sort of a restaurant but it has a bunch of arcades and games and stuff. It’s mainly for kids and teens but the food there is pretty good.

Lisa
Oh. I thought Mary was going to do something else.

Tom
Oh, she wanted to but as soon as Charlotte and Mason found out we just had to go to Bloopers.
Lisa laughs.
Lisa
Well I’m sure Ryan will love it...
Lisa starts to notice what’s being shown on TV. A picture of Gabriel is on the screen and the TV anchor’s voice seems to be getting louder in Lisa’s head.
TV
The NSA is sending this image to news stations across the state. This man is accused of the murder of FBI agents in Oakland, as well as assisting the escape of a fugitive in that city...

Tom
If you want I can give you the directions to... are you okay?

Lisa
Huh? Oh, yeah. I’ll... uh... get that from you later. I got to go.
Lisa runs back to the house.
Ryan
What’s wrong?

Lisa
We have to get out of here!

Ryan
What? Why? Are we in trouble?

Lisa
I don’t know yet.
Lisa turns on the TV.



Gabriel’s phone is ringing; It’s Lionel.
Gabriel
Did you do it? Did you talk to the agents?

Lionel
Yeah... turn on the TV.
Gabriel turns on the TV.
Gabriel
I’m using an antennae so if this is some cable station...

Lionel
It’s SFBN, so it’s local.
Gabriel turns to the channel.
TV
The man is now being identified as Daniel Fields, the brother of Adam Fields, founder of LifeSource technologies who died in a car crash very recently. Daniel Fields was said to have died in the war in Iraq. The NSA assures that this man is alive and well. He is wanted for the murder of FBI agents and is believed to have ties with incidents regarding LifeSource technologies. The source of this information refused to give further details on that. This man is extremely dangerous. If anyone has seen this man it is imperative that you pick up the phone and call the local authorities who will then notify the NSA of any information that can be of use to the investigation. This picture, a man shown to be injured who we are being told was recently kidnapped from a hospital, is believed to have been sent to the FBI by Daniel Fields to mock the FBI. It is both the FBI and NSA’s belief that Mr. Fields was the one to injure this man, whose significance is undetermined at this point, and is the one who kidnapped him from the hospital.

Gabriel
That was not supposed to happen.

Lionel
I don’t think they’re looking for Lisa anymore.

Gabriel
Well, at least they took my advice.

Lionel
What are you going to do now?

Gabriel
Disappear. It’s what I do best. I probably won’t be able to be in contact with you for a while. I have to get out of here.

Lionel
What about Lisa?

Gabriel
I’m not sure if I can help her anymore.

Lionel
Be careful out there.

Gabriel
Likewise.


Lisa and Ryan are shocked as they watch the news.
Lisa
So Gabriel actually is his brother?

Ryan
They said that Dad’s dead.

Lisa
What?

Ryan
They said he died.
There are tears in Ryan’s eyes and Lisa holds him and repeats what Gabriel told her. “Don’t believe everything you hear on TV”. Was this the same situation? Did he actually kill those men? Lisa doesn’t know. She doesn’t know him well enough to know what to believe.


Tom (on the phone)
Yes, sir. It’s done. No, she doesn’t suspect a thing. We’re going to celebrate her son’s fake birthday at Bloopers. No it shouldn’t be a problem. Yes, I just saw that. I’ll keep an eye on her but I don’t think she’ll be leaving anytime soon. The report barely mentioned her. Sure thing. I’ll see you then.

Lionel (on the phone with Gabriel)
Be careful out there.
He hangs up the phone.
Stacy (intercom)
Sir, there is someone here to see you.

Lionel
Who is it?
Stacy doesn’t answer.
Lionel
Stacy? Who is it?

Stacy
...It’s Miss Walsh, sir.

Lionel
Are you serious?

Stacy
If you want I can have security...

Lionel
NO! No, that’s alright. Send her in, please.
Carrie Walsh enters the room.
Lionel
Carrie! Oh, thank God you’re alright! What are you doing here? What happened to you? What...
Lionel stops to see what Carrie is saying silently with her lips.
Carrie (silently)
I’m bugged.
Lionel stops and doesn’t know what to say. He feels trapped and betrayed. He feels like he just got caught in this huge conspiracy he’d rather not be a part of. He could have easily declined Gabriel’s offer and lived without all this. Now he has corrupt agents from the FBI watching his every move.
Carrie
I was arrested, as you know. I heard you were trying to find me.

Lionel
Yes. When I went to visit you in prison they said they didn’t have you.

Carrie
I was bailed out. At first I thought maybe it was you but then I thought about what kind of image that would put on you and the company.

Lionel
Well, you make me sound like a jerk but you’re right. It wasn’t just that, though. Things have been kind of hectic here.

Carrie
So I assume you’re not trying to find me to offer me my old job.
Lionel is now thinking about the situation. He’s in deep now. The only thing he can do is keep going. Keep messing with the agents who are listening in to this conversation.
Lionel
If you were bailed out, where have you been?

Carrie
What?

Lionel
You weren’t at your apartment when I went. I thought maybe you had been released.

Carrie
Lionel...

Lionel
So I’m just wondering where you’ve disappeared to?

Carrie
Visiting Adam’s grave!
Lionel stops as Carrie starts to cry.
Lionel
Adam has a grave?

Carrie
Dead people usually do.

Does she not know? Is she not aware that her captors are also keeping their friend alive? Wait. Gabriel said he wasn’t certain of that. Adam could actually be dead. What else was Gabriel wrong about?

Lionel
I’m sorry...

Carrie
It’s okay.

Lionel
but you still had to have been staying somewhere. The FBI was in your apartment.
Carrie has a shocked look on her face.
Carrie
...really? Why?

Lionel
They didn’t say.

Carrie
I was staying in a hotel. A company from out of the city was discussing a new career opportunity for me.

Lionel
And what would that be?

Carrie
I can’t say. It’s a secret and I would get in trouble if I don’t keep my mouth shut.
Carrie looks down at her shirt and then back up to indicate she’s talking about the wire.
Lionel
I see. ‘Competitors’.

Carrie
I hope you understand.

Lionel
Who bailed you out?

Carrie
Joe Tyler.

Lionel
Why would he do that?

Carrie
He never told me. I just thanked him.
Lionel sits to think about all this.
Carrie
Why were you looking for me?

Lionel
I wanted to see if you were okay.

Carrie
Lionel...
They both stare at each other. Lionel knows the agents are both checking to see if Carrie will slip up information and to get her to push information out of him. Next they’ll start bugging his office, his phones, maybe even his car and his house. Daniel Fields can’t be there to look over him anymore. He’s going to have to think like him. The idea he’s thinking of is tricky, but it’s a way of fighting back.
Lionel
How would you like to work here at LifeSource?

 To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment here!