Before You Read!

If this is your first time here, you might want to check out the Introduction before you begin or start off from the beginning with Chapter 1: Reborn (Part 1).

Chapter 8: Down But Not Out (Part 3)

Part 1Part 2Part 3
Lionel
Jeez, fellas, I would have knocked but the door was…well, not there. No need for guns now.

Saunders
Why are you here, Lionel?

Lionel
Looking for Nurse Walsh.

Saunders
She’s been arrested, remember?

Lionel
Yes, funny story; when I went to visit her it turns out that they have no records of her being placed there.
Saunders and Bennett exchange nervous looks.
Lionel
You two know anything about that?

Saunders
Doesn’t sound like our problem. We’ll notify the other FBI team.

Lionel
But aren’t you guys responsible for anything involving LifeSource?

Saunders
Yes, but other than the fact that she used to work at a hospital across the street from your headquarters doesn’t make it seem like any more than a regular disappearance.

Lionel
What the hell is a regular disappearance?

Saunders
You know what I mean.

Bennett
Why are you looking for Miss Walsh?

Lionel
Well she is a friend of mine. I thought I would pay her a visit but I don’t know where she is and I’m starting to get worried.

Saunders
We’ll look into it. Probably best you head home.

Lionel
Why are you guys here?
Saunders looks at the phone and then back at Lionel.
Saunders
That’s classified information.

Lionel
Fair enough. I’ll leave you two alone then.
Lionel starts walking away but Saunders pulled him back.
Saunders
Wait!

Lionel
Yeah?

Saunders
What do you know about Daniel Fields?

Lionel
Adam’s brother?
Saunders and Bennett exchange looks.
Bennett
So you do know him?

Lionel
Never met the man, outside of one webcam conversation. He died in the war back when Adam and I were in school.

Bennett
Is that all you know?

Lionel
Well he used to talk a great deal about him. Not so much after his death, though.

Saunders
Thank you Mr. Sabatelli.
Lionel walks away.
Saunders
Something doesn’t add up here.

Bennett
I think Mr. Fields is trying to start a war with us and it seems like he keeps getting an advantage.

Saunders
Oh, we’ll give him a war, unless you have a better plan.

Bennett
No, let’s take him down.


The next day, the agents are on their way to the hospital. Saunders is on the phone with General Larken.
Larken
Saunders, we need to talk.

Saunders
Yes, sir. What is this about?

Larken
This is about your investigations. Tell me again, why is this man you are transferring so important?

Saunders
We believe he may be linked to the killings of our agents.

Larken
What were you investigating when they were killed?

Saunders
We were pursuing another individual who has been giving us problems.

Larken
Who is this man and what kind of problems are you talking about?

Saunders
He constantly shows up during our investigations and causes troubles for us so that the investigations never get solved.

Larken
Again, what kind of troubles?
Saunders rolls his eyes and looks at Bennett who is driving the car.
Saunders
Well, for instance, he has a way of disrupting video surveillance without accessing any equipment, he sends diversions for me and my fellow agents, he’s fired a gun on us once, and he runs away from us when we pursue him.

Larken
And why can’t you find this man?

Saunders
He has a way of staying hidden.

Larken
Do you know who this person is?

Saunders
Daniel Fields, sir.

Larken
... I’m sorry; can you say that name again, please?

Saunders
Daniel Fields.
There is a pause before the General begins talking again.
Larken
Alright, here’s a new priority for your team; I want that man captured and I want him alive. You will notify me as soon as you got him, understood?

Saunders
Yes sir. May I ask why this man is so important?

Larken
No you may not!

Saunders
Understood. Anything else I can do for you, sir?

Larken
Yes. Since we’re on the subject of Mr. Fields, I want to know why your team is so focused on finding Lisa Fields.

Saunders
It is why this team was assigned, wasn’t it? Are we not supposed to investigate cases like this?

Larken
Yes, but the case has clearly gone cold and you’re no closer to finding her than you were in the beginning...

Saunders
Sir...

Larken
Further more; you have many other more important things on your plate than to worry about a woman who will turn up sooner or later who isn’t a threat. Need I remind you that she is Joe Tyler’s daughter? You definitely don’t want to piss off Mr. Tyler. Because if Mr. Tyler is pissed off, we lose a lot of funding and support, and then I’ll be pissed off. Believe me; you don’t want me to be pissed off.

Saunders
Yes sir.

Larken
That is all for now, agent. We’ll be in touch again soon.
He hangs up the phone.
Bennett
We’re here.
The agents go upstairs and find Agent Miller and his partner in front of the patient’s door.
Miller
Agent Saunders, agent Bennett.

Saunders
Agent Miller. I assume you’re ready to give over our suspect.

Miller
Soon. We would like to ask a few more questions from him.

Saunders
Has he been generous at all since we left?

Miller
The only breakthrough we had was him crying and saying he’s sorry.
Saunders
Sorry for what?

Miller
He wouldn’t say. Like I said, a few more minutes of questions...

Saunders
That won’t do you any good. Even if he answered anything he’s still coming with us. We will take over the investigation from here.
Miller
Very well. We have cars outside to follow just in case.

Saunders
In case of what?

Miller
This man is a suspected criminal who may have been illegally using a Regeneration Pod for his own personal use. That type of statement doesn’t sit well with Protesters.

Saunders
I see your point. Let’s get on with it, then.
The agents enter the room to extract the patient, but when they open the door the bed is empty.
Saunders
What the hell?
Saunders’ phone rings. There’s a text message on the phone that simply says “Too slow.”

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment here!