Lisa
So who are you people?
Nathan
That’s a fair question. In order to answer that, though, I think a little history lesson is in order. How much do you know about the Protesters?
Lisa
That insane religious organization that is the reason for my whole situation? I’d say more than I want to know.
Nathan rolled his eyes at the comment, more ignorance towards their cause was just what they needed.
Nathan
The Protesters are not the reason for your ordeals, though they are not exactly a positive influence on society. When your husband first introduced the Regeneration Pods to the public, it was a scientific and medical breakthrough. But with every major change in history there are those who fear what they can’t make sense of. How can we control life and death? Why would a God allow this? What is the point of a God? These are the questions that the Protesters asked; and they weren’t too happy about it. This country is run on politics, Mrs. Fields. The machines were not only controversial, they were expensive to run, strengthening the life expectancy of this country which in turn produced an increasing population to a country already filled with poverty, and people felt a little less cautious in life when they knew they could be revived with a flick of a switch.
Lisa
This sounds like a campaign for the Protesters.
Nathan
Oh, don’t get me wrong. I respect the beliefs of the Protesters and can rationalize with the decision made by the government to appeal to both sides; but the fact of the matter is this is technology which was created to extend life. How can anyone be against this? We should still be using this technology and find a way to deal with the issues it brings. The Protesters don’t want anything to do with the machine. So where’s the common ground? The government thought that a reasonable resolution would be to use the machines to allow loved ones to say goodbye to the ones they lost, to which they must be put to rest – sorry, “shut down”, as they coined the morbid term – after twenty four hours of being revived. It’s a glorified way of deciding a last will and determining who a murderer was in a crime scene. Nobody knows who killed someone better than the person who was murdered.
Lisa
So where do you fit in?
Nathan
With every organized body there is an opposing body to counter it. We are that opposition. We grew after the outcry of the Protesters. You probably haven’t heard of us because we stood in the sidelines, trying to be discrete. While the Protesters were failing, we were building our numbers in the chance that they would one day rise again to the giant influence they were in the beginning and we believe that time has already begun.
Lisa
So what is your organization called? ‘The Pacifists’? ‘The Do-Good-ers’?
Nathan
The term ‘Protesters’ was given by rising popularity of that chosen word by the media. It’s like the media formed an entity with that word and The Protesters became it. We think it’s just as stupid a name as you do.
Sandra
Because we take a more active approach trying to set things in motion to try and correct the damage done by the Protesters, some of us often use the term ‘Resistance’ when fighting for our cause or joining in these meetings. It’s not really a label we decided on, just something we use.
Nathan
We don’t need an unnecessary name like the Protesters. We simply are. I believe that is the reason we hide so well under cover from the media. We’re constantly righting wrongs on the streets, but nobody knows who we are. They just see a bunch a lunatics as is usual for the news to showcase.
Sean suddenly walks through the doors, having seemingly escaped from the FBI unscathed. People look at him and are surprised.
Sean
Started without me, huh?
Sandra
What took you so long?
Sean
I’m sorry, was my time eluding the Feds not quick enough for you? Perhaps we should switch duties next time.
Sandra
Were you followed?
Sean takes a seat.
Sean
I’m never followed.
Lisa
So what is it you want with me? Where do I fit in with all this?
Nathan
We’re simply here to protect you, Lisa; if you wish to join us that is up to you. We can help you fight. We can help you get some answers.
Lisa
Well if you’re so good at getting answers then you must already know the answer to this one; is my husband still alive?
The room goes silent.
Lisa
Nobody? Nobody in the room knows the tiniest of details of whether or not my husband, Adam Fields – the man you all adore – is alive or dead? This room of so called ‘resistance fighters’ who seem to know everything, who shape what goes on to ‘right the path’ led astray by crazy religious extremists who influence government actions, does not know if their idol and saviour is still breathing?
There’s still silence.
Lisa
So you can’t help me.
Adam and Gabriel are walking with the agents to a room filled with ex-LifeSource employees, guards, equipment, and cameras. Gabriel seems surprised at the amount of equipment and personnel from LifeSource.
Saunders
Welcome to the room where you’ll be spending a majority of your time, Mr. Fields... I mean Adam, of course. You, Daniel, will just be locked in your cell.
Gabriel
Where’s your friend, Jason?
Saunders
Preoccupied. Don’t worry, he can’t wait to see you.
They continue walking, passing multiple Regeneration Pods. These pods were new, but their design obviously borrowed from the old pods.
Gabriel
What is all this...?
Saunders
This is the future. This is what will make the current Regeneration Pod models obsolete in every way.
Adam
It’s a long story. These idiots think there’s a way these machines can bring out inner potential.
Gabriel
Inner... what? You mean...
Adam
I told you, no amount of LifeSource employees will help you discover what can’t be explained. None of us know the cause to...
Gabriel
Carrie?
Adam stops talking and sees what his brother is looking at. Carrie Walsh, their old friend, is walking around the room with a clipboard and looking at equipment. She catches a glimpse of the brothers as Gabriel calls her name, but then continues walking as if she doesn’t even know them.
Saunders
Miss Walsh is a bit busy right now. She works for us now. Well, she’s sort of working at LifeSource to keep an eye on Lionel Sabatelli for us, but no hospital is going to take her in now so she has no choice. I’m sure I can have her visit from time to time.
Adam
No, that’s fine. I said enough to her on my death bed.
Adam stares at Carrie, his eyes shooting daggers at her. He could not believe her betrayal of him. There was much contempt he now held for her.
Saunders
Now you will help us with this. You started all this and you can do it again. You can build the Pod we want.
Adam
Learn your company history. It wasn’t just me; it was Lionel Sabatelli and a team we formed to create the original concept
Saunders
Don’t worry about Sabatelli. We’ve got that covered.
Hours later at LifeSource.
Stacy (over a speaker)
Mr. Sabatelli, Miss Walsh has those reports ready for you.
Lionel
Send her in.
Carrie
Here are those reports you wanted, Mr. Sabatelli.
Lionel
Thank you, Carrie. You know you can call me Lionel. I know the professional business facade is what most friends who’ve known each other for a long time do to appeal to fellow employees and investors but I really don’t care about that here. Most people in this building are close friends and on a first name basis with each other. I think it’s time you start getting to know the people here some more. In fact...
Lionel stands up.
Lionel
That’s what your new assignment is.
Carrie
I’m sorry?
Carrie looks at Lionel with concerning eyes. She is wearing a wire. The FBI is listening and Lionel knows it. Knowing every one of the employees at LifeSource on a personal level would give the agents an advantage on finding new recruits to their cause.
Lionel
Trust me. I think this new assignment will make you more comfortable with the employees here. Thanks for the reports, Miss Walsh. It will give me something to read.
Carrie leaves the room. Lionel opens the file and reads notes Carrie has on what’s going on in the underground prison. Lionel is shocked to read that Gabriel has been captured and that Adam has agreed to cooperate with the agents. After he’s done reading, he shreds the papers.
Joe Tyler and Ryan are sitting in Joe’s living room next to a fireplace, sipping hot chocolate.
Joe
We need to talk about what happens next...
Ryan
What do you mean? I thought I was supposed to live here with you now?
Joe
That’s one option, Ryan. I want to make sure you get what you want out of all this. You’re not going to be able to keep secrets here for much longer. My house is rarely empty. There are always people here for business or other reasons and I can’t keep you locked in your room.
Ryan
So what do we do?
Joe
I can tell you my suggestion but you might not like it.
Ryan
What is it?
Joe
I think we should come clean about you living here.
Ryan
What? But then they’ll know where I am and they’ll come after me!
Joe
You mean the FBI? They’re after your mother, not you. I can say that your mother had a way to send you back here without being traced and now you’re living with me. And if they ask to question you I can just say you’re not talking about it and they’ll leave you alone for the most part. I have security and lawyers so they will rarely be able to find opportunities to visit.
Ryan
I don’t know about that, Grandpa...
Joe
I have another option for you that you might like, but it will mean we will likely not be able to see each other as often.
Ryan
What?
Joe
I can have you hide with your aunt and uncle. I don’t think they’d expect you to be living with them so you can hide there. The thing is it might be a burden for them to keep you a secret, so the third option is a combination of both, sort of. You can live with your aunt and uncle freely if I come clean about your safety and can have security there close by all the time.
Ryan
You mean like Tom?
Joe
What?
Ryan
He said he worked for you. You sent us to that house so that he can keep an eye on us and the FBI found mom and I. They shot Tom when he wouldn’t let them in. They’re not supposed to do that. They’re not the real FBI!
Joe leans in to speak softly with Ryan.
Joe
That’s the sort of thing they’ll be asking you about, and that’s when you should keep quiet.
Ryan
Huh?
Joe
Do you really think anyone’s going to believe that the FBI just cold stone killed your neighbour because he asked for a warrant? They’re going to think you’re protecting your mother.
Ryan
Why?
Joe
It’s going to seem like you’re lying to protect the fact that she killed him.
Ryan
But she didn’t!
Joe
I know, but they’re not going to believe it. Your mother is a fugitive, as far as they’re concerned, and it seems more believable that she killed him instead of someone from the FBI.
Ryan
I guess so...
Joe
So this is up to you. You’ll be safest here with me, but if you stay here we’re going to have to tell the public that you’re safe.
Ryan pauses to think about the options.
Ryan
I trust you, Grandpa. I’ll stay here with you.
Joe
I thought you’d say so. Guess what I was able to grab from the house before we left.
Ryan
What?
Joe
Your guitar. It’s in your room. Go grab it and I’ll play on the piano there.
Ryan
I thought that was just for show.
Joe
Well I haven’t played in years, but hopefully it will be like riding a bike.
Bennett (on the phone)
This is Bennett.
Saunders (on the phone)
What’s up?
Bennett
We lost her.
Saunders
What? How?
Bennett
With one beast of an indestructible van.
Saunders
Well, find her! I’ve got enough to handle over here...
Bennett
There’s one more thing we may have a problem with.
Saunders
What is it?
Bennett
I got shot.
Saunders
Yeah, I bet you did. What about it?
Bennett
...I can’t feel my leg.
To be continued...
Tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Leave a comment here!