Gabriel slowly sits up, he seems to be confused and groggy. His senses are slowly coming back as he realizes his current situation. The dull grey room comes into focus and a familiar face is sitting on a bed staring at him.
Adam
Daniel?
Gabriel
Ugh... Adam? You’re alive? I knew it!
Adam
Wish I could say the same about you. I thought you were dead!
Gabriel
Where are we?
Adam
Captured. I don’t really know who is keeping us prisoner, but they seem to be some sort of government body.
Gabriel is observing the room and looking for a way out. He is tapping on points in the wall.
Gabriel
Secret FBI task force; specialized in everything that you built.
Adam
How do you know that?
Gabriel
While you were stuck in here I've been out there gathering information and trying to fight them. I've been trying to find and save you.
Adam
I’m fine. It’s my family that I’m worried about. They’re the ones in danger.
Gabriel
They’re fine. They've got eyes on them twenty four seven.
Adam
How would you know?
Gabriel
I've been helping them; me and Joe Tyler.
Adam
Lisa’s father? How do you know each other?
Gabriel
Through you, of course.
Adam
What?
Gabriel
How often do guards come through these doors?
Adam
Whoa, back up. What do you mean you met through me? I met Joe after I found out you were dead. I never introduced you.
Gabriel
I never said you did. Do the guards carry guns when they come through here, or just tasers?
Adam
Daniel, talk to me. How are you not dead? How did you end up here?
Gabriel
It’s a long story.
Adam
I’m not going anywhere and I've got nothing but time.
Lisa is having a hard time staying still in the swerving van. She had just been rescued by two people she’s never met before, after almost being captured by the FBI.
Sandra
Sean, lose ‘em already!
Sean
I’m trying! It’s not easy shaking off the FBI, especially with those helicopters! It’s a little extreme, don’t you think!?
Sandra
Just do it!
Lisa
You mind telling me who you two are?
Sandra
I’ll explain everything when we get home. Right now you just need to know we’re saving your life. Be grateful!
Lisa
No argument here...
The police have set up a roadblock ahead with several cars.
Sean
Uh, Sandra, we may have a problem!
Sandra
Damn! Want to see how tough this new van is?
Sean
That’s why we got it...
Sean pushes the gas pedal down to the floor, the engine roars as the van picks up speed.
Sean
Uh, one of them isn't running away.
All other officers run away from the speeding van while Agent Bennett stands right in the middle of the street, staring down the driver.
Sandra
Don’t worry, that’s the big FBI agent. He’ll just get revived later, keep driving !
Sean
But he’s got a gun and one hell of an aim!
Sandra
Why do you think we bought bullet proof glass? We prepared for this, keep driving!
Bennett takes a shot at the driver. The bullet barely scratches the windshield, bounces off and hits Bennett’s foot. The van strikes Bennett, and he is sent flying across the street and into a police car which was pulled to the side of the road.
Sean
Hey, how about that. It worked!
Sandra
Try to hide from that helicopter. Drive under the bridge; Lisa and I will take the bike.
Lisa
That bike?
Lisa nervously points to a motorcycle that is sitting in the back of the van; she has never been on a motorcycle before and it is clear that under any other circumstance she wouldn't have changed that.
Sandra
Yes. Just hold tight and don’t let go.
Lisa
Um, I think I feel safer in this bulletproof van, thank you.
Sandra
That helicopter is going to keep eyeing down this van. We take this bike under the cover of the bridge while the feds are still out of sight and we have a chance of escaping them.
Lisa
What about him?
Sean
I’ll be fine, sweetheart. This is just a Tuesday for us.
The van comes to a quick stop under the bridge, the back doors open and a ramp slides down for Lisa and Sandra to exit with the motorcycle sitting in the van next to Lisa.
Sandra
Get on.
Joe Tyler enters the home of Tom, a secret employee of his. Tom is lying on the floor, blood everywhere.
Joe
Damn.
Joe looks around but is afraid agents still might be in the house. He quietly peaks around corners until he realizes he’s alone in the house. He wants to get out of there before anyone gets home, especially Tom’s family.
Joe
Ryan?
No answer.
Joe
Ryan?
Ryan
Grandpa?
Joe
Ryan, where are you?
Ryan runs down the stairs.
Ryan
Mr. Wilson told me to hide, I heard arguing and then nothing... I was too afraid to
leave.
Joe
That’s good. You’re safe. Now quick, we need to leave. You’re coming home with me.
Ryan
What about mom?
Joe
Ryan, we don’t have time. Come with me, you’re safe now.
Ryan looks at the front door and sees Tom lying on the floor. Joe realizes what he’s looking at.
Joe
Just close your eyes. I’ll lead you to the car.
Adam
Wow, that’s an incredible story.
Gabriel
I know it’s hard to believe, but it’s true. Most of your life has been planned by the government.
Adam
Well it seems like that's going to continue.
Daniel
How’s that?
Adam
If I don’t do what these guys say, they’re going to kill you. Then they’re going to find Lisa and kill her, too.
Daniel
They’re looking for Lisa regardless of what you do. It’s their job. Their incentive to find her as their priority is that it might get you to cooperate with them. Don’t let Lisa or I influence what you decide to do.
Adam
I can’t lose you again, Daniel. You don’t know how much I've missed you. Ryan’s middle name is Daniel, you know.
Daniel
I didn't know that. Why not his first name?
Adam
I didn't think I could deal with saying your name all the time.
They sit in silence for a moment, an awkward silence.
Daniel
What... are they making you do?
The door swings open suddenly. Agent Saunders and agent Thompson step through and stare Gabriel and Adam down.
Saunders
Why don’t we show you, Mr. Fields?
Sandra drives the motorcycle, with Lisa, to the secret area where the resistance meets. They dismount the motorcycle, however Lisa is afraid to take off her helmet.
Lisa
Uh... there are a lot of people around.
Sandra
I don’t think most people realize what your new look is like yet. We have the right disguises for you inside. We’re at a shopping center so we can get whatever supplies you like.
Lisa
Where are we?
Sandra
Burbank.
Lisa
Why are we here? I thought you were taking me to a hideout or something?
Sandra
Like what, an underground facility? An abandoned warehouse? I think that would seem obvious. Nobody’s going to be looking for us here.
Sandra and Lisa walk until they reach a door with a mall security guard. The guard looks them over.
Hank
Evening, Sandra.
Sandra
Mind letting us through, Hank?
Hank
Everyone’s waiting for you.
The guard swipes his card through the card reader next to the door, there are two beeps, indicating it was accepted. The door opens for them
Lisa
Where are we going?
Sandra
When you’re part of an organization that’s pro-life, an organization which any intelligent person would like to be a part of, you get connections with people for whatever you need. We get a space in this mall reserved for security sometimes. This isn't our only spot, but we like to come here often to meet.
Lisa
How big is this ‘organization’?
Sandra
You’ll see.
Lisa and Sandra stop walking down a hallway once they reach a certain door. Sandra opens the door for Lisa. Behind, there is a large group of people sitting around in chairs, security monitors are behind the group with some guards watching the cameras. One of the guards turns around.
First Guard
Hey, I told you that was her! I told you I have a good eye with these cameras. Remember all the shoplifters I caught last week?
Second Guard
Yeah, yeah. Shut up already with the shoplifters. You act like you got a promotion or something!
Nathan
Welcome, Lisa. We've been expecting you.
Lisa
Who are you people?
Joe is driving Ryan back to his house, so that Ryan may stay with him for the time being.
Ryan
Grandpa Joe, mom said it’s not safe at your house...
Joe
Well trust me; while you’re with me I won’t let anything happen to you. I’m one of the most powerful men in this city. You think I can’t keep my grandson safe? And the best part is you won’t need to hide anymore. Well...
Ryan
What?
Joe
Actually, maybe you ought to hide for a bit so that the FBI doesn't bombard you with questions. I’ll teach you what to say and we’ll figure out where to go from here. Don’t worry, I have a plan.
Joe pulls the car into his home’s driveway, he slows down and approaches the garage as the door slowly opens.
Ryan
What if they’re waiting inside?
Joe
I have very powerful people keeping track of where these agents are. They’re nowhere near this house right now. They’re a little occupied.
Joe and Ryan are in the first floor kitchen of Joe’s house, there are expensive appliances and kitchen furniture everywhere. Ryan fights the urge to play with some of the appliances on the counter.
Joe
What’s that you got there?
Ryan
A digital book reader, I got as a present.
Joe looks at what book is currently shown on the screen.
Joe
Frankenstein, huh? That’s an old one.
Ryan
I've read it before.
Joe
So why are you reading again?
Ryan
I don’t know. It came with the reader.
Joe
You know this is a classic book, one of my favourites when I was in high school. I had to read it for a book report.
Ryan
It makes me think of dad...
Joe
Why? Do you think of your dad as some disfigured monster?
Ryan
No, not the monster. The doctor reminds me of dad. How he found a way of bringing people back to life.
Joe
Ah, but unlike Dr. Frankenstein, your father perfected a non-disfiguring way of doing
so.
Ryan
And he didn't create a monster when he did it.
Joe
No... I guess he didn't...
To be continued... TOMORROW!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Leave a comment here!